Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance replacing parts do I get them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:22 PM
MYKSHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Insurance replacing parts do I get them?

As the question says, had a mishap with the bike. Have the insurance check in my hand and the dealer will be putting on a new inner and outer fairing as well as the rear bag lower on my 2013 Limited. Is it normal procedure to take the old parts home? I haven't checked with my dealer yet just trying to get a heads up. Mike

Old 10-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Boyer8
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance Question

Who do you have for insurance? I have Rider and was rear ended on my Heritage and asked for my old parts back and was told that was not allowed with Rider all old parts need to be destroyed. Just spoke to someone with Progressive and was told they asked for their old parts back and it was ok with Progressive.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:31 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have state farm. They have never asked for old parts back. Last time I needed them, they didn't even send an adjuster. Just paid per the estimate, minus deductible.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Sire2Twins
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're your parts. Demand that they give them to you. Insurance CO. does not have the right to tell you that you can't keep them. If the bike is a total...THEN the Insurance Company owns the bike once you have been paid and can dictate what is done with the old parts, but not on a repair.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:52 PM
valleybuck
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That happened to me a few years back.I got to keep mine the tech called it garage art. Kept the stuff a few years kept getting in my way,finally got rid of the stuff,then had more room in my garage.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:09 PM
rpking
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

my buddy kept his parts after a mishap, he kept his front fender, and pipes
he sold his scratched up pipes to another friend

Old 10-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Allstate gave me no problem when I told them I wanted all replaced parts...

Old 10-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

I did all my insurance work myself so I had no problems keeping the parts.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:15 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...as an adjuster, I can tell you that GENERALLY speaking,(every state's laws are different, and every company acts differently), when we write a claim, we could care less about the old parts...lets take a typical bike crash, ok...the mufflers are all scratched...but they aren't dented, and still work...we have to write to replace them, since you can't "repair" them....so if some guy wants to keep em..what do we care?...BUT..sometime you get these hard-*** type appraisers who have a hair-across their ***...they may know you want to keep a part, to maybe resell, or just not replace...they may try to take parts, or most often what happens is, when no one is looking, they will destroy the part to make it useless to any one. A good example is Xenon headlights on cars. Many times the mounting tabs get snapped in a crash, but the rest of the light is fine. Since you can't buy the mount tab, the headlamp gets written for replace, $1500-$2000. Then the shop will just glue the tab back together. So the appraiser will put a big scratch across the lens to make it ugly....sorry for long post...bottom line, most appraisers don't care..some might, if you bitch a little they will back down..

Old 10-13-2013, 07:24 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There isn't a default yes or no answer, ask your adjuster. I went through a home loss one time and was able to buy some of my stuff back that I knew I could make money on.
It was pennies on the dollar for buy back, but then again that will depend on the company and the adjuster.

Quick Reply: Insurance replacing parts do I get them?