Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance replacing parts do I get them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,818 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Sire2Twins
They're your parts. Demand that they give them to you. Insurance CO. does not have the right to tell you that you can't keep them. If the bike is a total...THEN the Insurance Company owns the bike once you have been paid and can dictate what is done with the old parts, but not on a repair.
No they're not.

Back when we ran a shop most insurance companies didn't care what you did with the old parts. Some did though and collected them at the end of the repair.

They paid for them with the insurance check. And just like in a "total" they paid for them, so they own them.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:29 AM
MYKSHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The co. is Formost. The fairings and bag have scratches that I thought I could fix with touch up paint, but my dealer said if I trade the bike in they would ding me the price of replacement parts. I think they could be used for someone's project. Mike

Old 10-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,886 Likes on 19,356 Posts

Originally Posted by Sire2Twins
They're your parts. Demand that they give them to you. Insurance CO. does not have the right to tell you that you can't keep them. If the bike is a total...THEN the Insurance Company owns the bike once you have been paid and can dictate what is done with the old parts, but not on a repair.
"Demand that they give them to you. Insurance CO. does not have the right to tell you that you can't keep them." ... Actually that is far from true ... The Insurance has paid you fully for the parts by replacing the damaged ones and in essence the old parts do belong to the Insurance Company ... However, they may not exercise their option of taking the old parts but if there is a value they can.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:30 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
"Demand that they give them to you. Insurance CO. does not have the right to tell you that you can't keep them." ... Actually that is far from true ... The Insurance has paid you fully for the parts by replacing the damaged ones and in essence the old parts do belong to the Insurance Company ... However, they may not exercise their option of taking the old parts but if there is a value they can.
Agreed! Once repaired, the owner has NO claim to parts. Most places will give em back, but some dealers will not. Since you have been made 'whole'... they are NOT your parts.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 10-13-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Check with your insurance policy. There is no other black or white answer. Some policies state that the replaced parts become the property of the insurer. Most don't, but check it out.
ed

Old 10-13-2013, 11:45 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Back at about the turn of the century, I worked one summer at the local GM dealership. Back then all the major engine parts that were replaced under warranty, for whatever reason, were put over in the corner of the building until the GM regional warranty guy could come by for inspection. When he was done he would take an 8 pound sledge and smash the hell out of everything.
I suppose it is different today. My thoughts would be that whoever paid to replace the old parts with new parts should have first refusal rights, if they choose.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:54 AM
gmc
Road Warrior

I've had no problems keeping parts and even fixing bikes myself with State Farm and Hartford but a friend had to give up his parts with Farmers. It depends on the insurance company.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:26 PM
HOGBOY57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wife and i had a accident and i asked for all parts being replaced. wife has 13 chrome yellow street glide and will be selling her front fender outer fairing painted inner fairing and her dragula 2into1 chrome pipe. and off of my my the outer fairing vivid black road glide. dealer said they were going to throw parts away so i said i wanted.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:01 AM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MYKSHD
As the question says, had a mishap with the bike. Have the insurance check in my hand and the dealer will be putting on a new inner and outer fairing as well as the rear bag lower on my 2013 Limited. Is it normal procedure to take the old parts home? I haven't checked with my dealer yet just trying to get a heads up. Mike
As the OP says he has the check in hand so if the check is made out to him then he will be buying the new parts and can ask for the parts back. If the check is made out to him and the Harley dealer then he will have to check what the ins co has to say.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 PM
WIHD55
Road Captain

I just went through this. American Family is my carrier. Front fairing, fender, bag and lid, complete header pipe, etc. I never asked the adjuster.

Check was made out to both parties. I asked for my old stuff from the dealer, who gave it to me. I sold everything for enough to cover my deductible and apply some to the CVO bags I upgraded to.