Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Came | | close to getting the 2014 Ultra today

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:13 PM
F34R
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Since you are a cop, this is what I would do.
Find out which dealer has the state bid for the HD cop bikes for the State of South Carolina.
Make an appointment with the fleet sales manager.
Price issue solved.
I'll check on that. I had to medically retire, but I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for mentioning it.
Originally Posted by Coloradohunter
I'm not much of a haggler. If I want something and I think the price is fair, I get it.

I paid full MSRP plus setup and doc fees on my limited. If I didn't, the next guy in line would. I thought the offer they gave me on my trade was too low and told them that I needed $500 more on the trade and we would have a deal. They agreed and that was that.

I don't fault others for trying to get a better deal but in the grand scheme of things, I may have paid a few bucks more than someone else will but I've been riding my new scoot every day for the last 3 weeks and I think that's more fun than arguing about what I paid for it.
I've been at the point of not going below MSRP. I've been trying to get them to simply come down to what I can pay for it. I'd rather have it a lot less, but I've gone beyond that and only need them to meet me a little further down than where we are. I want the bike. I'm not trying to negotiate for a cheaper price. I'm going for what the loan is approved for. Nothing more, nothing less.

Grand scheme of things. All those "prep" fees.. going to the dealership owners pocket. Sales rep, probably getting $1,000-$1,500 out of that $6,000, and the rest going to the dealership.

I'm too familiar with it all.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:59 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F34R
It's not even a good deal right now, and even if the $600 more would come off, it still isn't a good deal. I mean.. a good deal would be $21000 otd, and they STILL make $3k off of it lol.

I digress.... I guess I'm clueless how they'd let a bike sit for three weeks, and then have the opportunity to make just under 6K on it, but wont because they want to make just over 6K.

Go to the damn grocery store, get all the groceries you want and put them in the basket. Check out and when they give you the total, make an offer. See what happens. You act like you are entitled to something. That is their bike, they can ask what they want. You have the right to decide what you are willing to pay, not what they should sell it for. Keep in mind they are taking your used bike in trade and until they sell it, they haven't made anything.
You want to cry about $600 because you think you know what their margin is???

Tells me you know nothing about running a business. Keep your bike or find another dealer that wants to play by your rules.

Do the rest of us a favor and stop the whining.

What's the problem free doughnuts and coffee aren't enough???

Last edited by TwinCooled; 10-13-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say invoice on those is about 21K, they could still come down to $23,500 and make a nice chunk of change.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:36 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

$24,000 isn't under MSRP... @$24,000 they are making $5,395.. PLUS the $500 cash I'm throwing in there. Going under MSRP, which isn't necessarily the case here, doesn't mean they don't make money.
Yes, 24k OTD is under MSRP. Let me break it down for you.

Here are the MSRP prices, per MOCOs website:

Vivid Black $23,249
Color Option $23,839
Two-Tone Option $24,289
Custom Color Option $24,514
Security $395

Plus 5% SC Tax and Freight, which I think is $450ish.

So, in SC, here are your MSRP numbers, anything below that is UNDER MSRP:

Vivid Black $25,276

Color Option $25,895

Two-Tone Option $26,368

Custom Color Option $26,604

You didn't mention which color you wanted, but even the vivid black is $1,276 over the 24k you would like to pay.

Last edited by SafetyMan; 10-13-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:06 AM
F34R
Tourer

Originally Posted by SharkBait13
Go to the damn grocery store, get all the groceries you want and put them in the basket. Check out and when they give you the total, make an offer. See what happens. You act like you are entitled to something. That is their bike, they can ask what they want. You have the right to decide what you are willing to pay, not what they should sell it for. Keep in mind they are taking your used bike in trade and until they sell it, they haven't made anything.
You want to cry about $600 because you think you know what their margin is???

Tells me you know nothing about running a business. Keep your bike or find another dealer that wants to play by your rules.

Do the rest of us a favor and stop the whining.

What's the problem free doughnuts and coffee aren't enough???
When I go to the grocery store, I make a list of things we need, and a budget used to buy under. Look. It's not like I just have $600 in my back pocket. If I did, I would have posted a "Just got my Ultra" thread. It's the principle, and finances that I'm talking about. The bank is loaning me $24,000. I have $500 I was going to use to put a deposit down on a Limited. So, I have $24,500. They have $25,100 on the buyers order. It's just not something I can do. They are making plenty on the bike if they even come down $600.

I know plenty about how to run a business, and even more specifics about this type of business. They have $1400 in the cost of the sell, specifically the dealer prep and freight plus documentary fees, that 90% of that goes directly into the pocket of the owner of the dealership.

Don't you think they don't tell you how much they actually paid for the bike?? They tell you, "We can't come down, we are at the bottom dollar as it is.." when they are SIX THOUSAND above the "bottom dollar". It's sales tactics, and they have a helluva lot more room to do better compared to just making as much as possible.

Your post sounds more like whining about my dilemma, rather than mine is about being frustrated that they aren't willing to lose a measly $600.
Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Yes, 24k OTD is under MSRP. Let me break it down for you.

Here are the MSRP prices, per MOCOs website:

Vivid Black $23,249
Color Option $23,839
Two-Tone Option $24,289
Custom Color Option $24,514
Security $395

Plus 5% SC Tax and Freight, which I think is $450ish.

So, in SC, here are your MSRP numbers, anything below that is UNDER MSRP:

Vivid Black $25,276

Color Option $25,895

Two-Tone Option $26,368

Custom Color Option $26,604

You didn't mention which color you wanted, but even the vivid black is $1,276 over the 24k you would like to pay.
Here is the price list:

Bike: $23,644 (vivd black)
Tax: $300 (sc limits to $300 regardless of price or tax rate)

Dealer prep/freight: $1,150
Documentary fee: $249
Tag/title: $25
TOTAL: $25,369
Trade: $268 (trade value minus payoff)

Balance due: $25,100 ($23,969 is just below the amount I have... the rest is "in the pocket" charges)

Price they paid for the bike: $18,605

They are making $6,495 off of it right now. Knock that down $600.. and it's done.

If I just had an extra $600 more, I'd do it from pure impulse lol. It's just frustrating that I'm that close to it, and they aren't willing to anything else to sell the damn bike to me.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:50 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

They are making $6,495 off of it right now. Knock that down $600.. and it's done.

If I just had an extra $600 more, I'd do it from pure impulse lol. It's just frustrating that I'm that close to it, and they aren't willing to anything else to sell the damn bike to me.
I'm amazed at all the emotional responses to this. Ok........after being a member here for 4 years I guess maybe I'm not that amazed. But really - Do you have to get your underwear in a bunch because someone doesn't walk in and expose their underbelly to the first available bike salesman?And how many people here walk into a car dealership and willingly pay MSRP? Furthermore, I would love to see that same person's response to a salesman that used the "grocery" analogy. Lol - that would be a thread unto it's own in OT!

My perspective comes from having purchased many bikes, cars, etc over many years. I think I paid MSRP once - for an Acura when they first came out. Ended up selling (for a profit) it a year later to someone like some of those here who will pay anything to get something that is hard to find at the moment. And despite the fact that I bought my 11 Ultra (in the spring - OMG) for $2500 under MSRP, the dealer has somehow remained in business.

So to the OP = Congrats on being one of the few here that can draw a line in the sand and stand by it. Patience is a virtue. The dealers will start discounting the 14s when the sheep have their garages full. Then you and I can go buy the bike at our price. Or.......pay MSRP for the fully water cooled improvement.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:00 AM
F34R
Tourer

I'm on the way to the dealership (hour and a half away) to get my Lo I left for them.

Thanks for all the replies, and I'll update when I get home.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:54 PM
F34R
Tourer

ok.. So they asked if there was any way for me to come up with the $600. I told them "no more than there is a way for you to come off the $600..."

Anyways, go my Lo. Sales manager said he'd keep the deal locked in for me until the end of the month. I told him not to worry about it.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Just for grins lets see just what new 14 owners are paying OTD and any goodies thrown in.....
My 14 Ultra classic [air cooled] 2 tone for $25,750 OTD.
We have 6% sales tax here. Got a free tour pack luggage rack, free first oil change and 20 some point inspection [which is $300, security that's supposedly not part of it $395, some big double picture Harley frame to add your own and 15% off parts for 2 years.
I check 4 other dealers and they were all $900/1000 more.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:52 PM
F34R
Tourer

Originally Posted by Just Me
Just for grins lets see just what new 14 owners are paying OTD and any goodies thrown in.....
My 14 Ultra classic [air cooled] 2 tone for $25,750 OTD.
We have 6% sales tax here. Got a free tour pack luggage rack, free first oil change and 20 some point inspection [which is $300, security that's supposedly not part of it $395, some big double picture Harley frame to add your own and 15% off parts for 2 years.
I check 4 other dealers and they were all $900/1000 more.
They didn't mention anything other than the price for me.

Quick Reply: Came | | close to getting the 2014 Ultra today