Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty and Engine Mod's

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Mike flhp
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Extended Warranty and Engine Mod's

Been lurking around for a couple years researching (bike and a dozen or so mods), appreciate all those that have helped by their postings. One I have not found and need some perspective on:
What worries are there with HD Extended Warranty coverage on a bike with minor engine mods?
Have a stock 2011 RK and am adding a de-cat header, Jackpot 4” and VIED’s. Will I get any hassle on covered repairs if I bring it in for engine/trans noises or problems, etc.?
The bike is a Police and I got the max HD ESP (Jim at Kutter), 8000 miles (1900 when I got it last fall…parade only use…not expecting problems, but never know).
Thanks in advance!

Old 10-10-2013, 02:35 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

sorry sir, don't have an answer but i'm interested in the responses.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:08 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Should not have any problems but a lot depends on the dealer' the mods you are talking about are fairley normal

Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

It depends on the dealer, but they're under no obligation to warranty something that's been altered from stock.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:35 PM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '05Train
It depends on the dealer, but they're under no obligation to warranty something that's been altered from stock.
+1 on that. I have a set of XIED's and a decatted header, both obviously non-OEM. I also have Screamin' Eagle pipes and the Ventilator air cleaner. I asked the service manager at the dealer if I needed to worry about anything relative to my extended warranty, which is your question. The answer I got was a definite "No", but I'm thinking it's because some of the stuff is OEM and besides the XIED's, they put it all on for me. In other threads, folks on here have shared they've gotten different answers when they posed the question. What I don't recall seeing is anyone sharing a story where there was an issue and they were flat out denied warranty coverage for a specific mod(s). My advice - ask the dealer you go to.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 PM
jmcdermit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1900 miles is a lot of parades in 3 years...633 miles of parading around per year.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had my Road King I asked about that after about 9 months owning it and having the dealer doing a 103 upgrade. I was told that anything done within the first 60 days would be covered, after that my engine would not be covered but the other components; trans, primary etc would be covered.

Personally I think if I had encountered a problem, the service manager would have made it good.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pastime
+1 on that. I have a set of XIED's and a decatted header, both obviously non-OEM. I also have Screamin' Eagle pipes and the Ventilator air cleaner. I asked the service manager at the dealer if I needed to worry about anything relative to my extended warranty, which is your question. The answer I got was a definite "No", but I'm thinking it's because some of the stuff is OEM and besides the XIED's, they put it all on for me. In other threads, folks on here have shared they've gotten different answers when they posed the question. What I don't recall seeing is anyone sharing a story where there was an issue and they were flat out denied warranty coverage for a specific mod(s). My advice - ask the dealer you go to.
This is pretty much the same response I got from my dealership. Service manager said it depended on how he wrote it up. Long as you do bolt in cams and such there shouldn't be a problem, but as stated previously you may want to check with dealer. Decat the exhaust and slip ons and Air cleaner is no issue. Dealership won't decat stock pipe but will install new head pipes. Some dealers seem to hunt things to fuss about then others will bend over backwards to work with customers. They all will tell you a noise is normal, and I don't agree with this, but I guess this is normal.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 10-10-2013, 11:59 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you're covering it -- check with your most likely service/dealer shop first.
Twice on road trips I was unable to 'check first', but both service managers were very easy to work with.
I've never had a problem with either the factory or the ESP on my last two bikes and both were modded a bunch, to the engine/intake/exhaust anyway.
The ESP has paid for two engine rebuilds and numerous other things. They both paid for themselves at least four times over....
I've had three dealers and two HD authorized indies perform warranty work and never a problem.
But I also know there are some who have had issues over quite minor mods with warranty claims.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty and Engine Mod's