Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 1 quart oil sufficient vs. 38 oz. in the 6 spd. tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013 | 07:31 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member

I put 1 qt in my trans and primary and every thing is just fine , if I was just sitting in my garage running my bike it might be different but we are bouncing down the road tilting side to side

Old 10-08-2013 | 08:32 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
EDIT: Title should be... Is 1 quart oil sufficient vs. 38 oz. in the 6 spd. Primary case

Service manual states 38 ounce capacity in the 6 speed primary case on a 103, will 1 quart/32 oz's be ok?
Were talking Primary case or are we talking transmission
The last I looked the Primary took 38 ozs. of Primary fluid &
The 6 spd. Transmission took 1 qt. of Transmission fluid
I wouldn't run either one of those 6 ozs. low on fluid

Old 10-08-2013 | 08:42 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Best to fill it to proper level, you do not want to over fill it.
38 wet means a normal change
45 dry mean if you have opened up the entire primary
I doubt you could even get 45 oz in from the derby cover
here is an old rule of thumb that still holds true with bike straight up primary lube should be about here no lower and not a lot higher
Number 7

Last edited by smitty901; 10-08-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2013 | 08:43 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe the easiest answer for some folks to remember is just pour oil in the primary until it hits the bottom of the clutch basket. When it does that your good to go and you don't have to worry about measuring. And yes, before somebody asks, you will have to use a flashlight to see in there. And no, it does not make any difference what kind of flashlight batteries you use.

Old 10-08-2013 | 08:53 PM
Reaper22
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Reaper22
I put 38 ounces of oil and forget about it, easy to get neutral and quiet :}
Opps need to get eye's checked, I am talkin primary, Sorry, 1 quart in trans...

Old 10-08-2013 | 08:54 PM
Guitardude
Club Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
That 6 oz. spread out over the length of the primary is not perceptible to the eye.

Put the qt. in look at the level threw the opening and it contacts the area of the clutch basket to satisfy what the owners manual states for visual inspection.

I have always done one quart with my 10 HD's for many years and many miles. Zero issues. Guess what? Most techs at the dealer only put one quart in.

To the new math folks. 6 0z is only 12.5 % of 48 0z. not 16% - Jeez

And what about what is still in the primary case?
Since I'm the new math folks, actually 6oz is 15.789474% of 38oz, which is what we were talking about at the time, I rounded it up....skippy. - Jeez

Old 10-08-2013 | 11:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

whoops typo 48 when it should be 38-

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-08-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2013 | 12:51 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Funny this question would come up in a thread. I regularly do the fluid changes on my StreetGlide and my GF's Deluxe. Both are stock 96 ci motors. I have always followed the manual and put 38 oz of Mobil 1 Syn in the primary on both bikes. A few weeks ago while up touring in Colorado my GF started having a slipping clutch. Fortunately we were headed into Durango and I knew there was a HD dealer there. Lady Luck smiled on us and we were able to get the Deluxe in for service (BIG THANK YOU to Slade at Durango HD!!!!!). The tech confirmed that a simple clutch adjustment would take care of the problem. After a quick lunch we returned to pick up the Deluxe and I inquired if any real issues and wondered why the clutch would suddenly need an adjustment. The tech made the comment that the primary was "a little on the full side" and that he had drained a little out. I told him that I always filled with 38 oz as per the manual. He quickly pointed out the need to only fill to the bottom of the clutch basket and no more. I was a bit perplexed and left not knowing for sure just what to do the next time when servicing both of our bikes. I was going to call my local dealership and ask the top tech there as to what his practice is when filling the primary. After reading here I am still wondering just what IS the best practice.

Was our clutch slippage and subsequent need for adjustment just a fluke and a "they all do it" phenomenon? This has never happened to either bike between service intervals and they both have 40K plus miles. I think I will continue to follow the manual.

Old 10-09-2013 | 02:18 AM
94ruck
Road Captain

Yep, i fill mine to the bottom of the clutch basket. i agree, 6 oz is hard to tell. The primary sloshes the oil around the chain and the clutch(and the compensater, etc). i doubt having it too full would affect the clutch operation( using synthetic might but thats a whole other conversation).

Old 10-09-2013 | 04:30 AM
Beezr
Cruiser

Synthetic causes slippage in the primary whether you realize it or not. The dyno knows. This was told to me yesterday by my local Harley service manager who told me 1 qt. of fluid is fine in there as well.

Quick Reply: Is 1 quart oil sufficient vs. 38 oz. in the 6 spd. tranny