Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL phase 7 or bulb replacements

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:58 PM
mp535th
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TL phase 7 or bulb replacements

Just got a 2014 SG and kept all my leds off the old bike but not sure if want to put the phase 7 on the new one or just replace the bulbs with some piaa super whites or something. Any thoughts or has any here just replaced the bulbs?

Old 10-07-2013, 11:55 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

You have run both on your bikes right ?? Which light pattern do you prefer ?

You should be able to judge on your new light if you like the pattern or not even before adding new bulbs to it.Play with the adjustments to make sure.

They both look pretty cool and are very different but for me it comes down to how well does the light perform at night, I want the most usable light on the road as possible.

For me the Phase 7 is awesome once I got it adjusted where I want it.I never ran thwe dual bulb one so I canot offer a direct comparison. I did however try many different bulbs in my BOSCH housing and even with a 100 watt premium bulb to me the Phase 7 out performs it.

One thing I like about the LED is the reduced draw on the system especially if you add more electric goodies.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:29 AM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 338 Likes on 223 Posts

+1 on the Phase 7

Old 10-08-2013, 05:53 AM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I don't have experience with the dual halogen headlight, I did start with the stock headlight for a couple of nighttime rides before upgrading to the Sylvania Silverstars. Took just those couple times at night to realize I needed more light, and I still have the original bulb sitting in my garage.

My next change happened about six months ago when I scored a good deal on a Trucklite P7. I was so happy with that upgrade that I started looking for a couple more good deals so I could put them in my Jeep. Well, that happened just a few weeks ago; local dealer does a "discount ride" between their sister stores & I managed a 60% discount–I put a Daymaker on the bike and replaced the IPF H4 headlights (with 80/100 watt IPF bulbs) in the Jeep with the Trucklites (I had managed to score another good deal) and couldn't be happier.

IPFs and small supply of spare bulbs are now for sale on the local craigslist as I will not be going back to halogens. Ever.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 PM
DeadManWalkin
Cruiser

I had the dual halogen on my 2012 FLHXSE3 and I hated it. I just bought 3 TL phase 7's. Two that I just installed on my jeep and 1 to replace the stock headlight on my 2013 FLHX. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the TL. I like the clean white light that LED and HID produces. Seems to light up the road and hazards better.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DeadManWalkin
I had the dual halogen on my 2012 FLHXSE3 and I hated it. I just bought 3 TL phase 7's. Two that I just installed on my jeep and 1 to replace the stock headlight on my 2013 FLHX. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the TL. I like the clean white light that LED and HID produces. Seems to light up the road and hazards better.
I hear you. Upgrading the Halogen this winter to LED. I don't mind it on bright but on low it sucks!

Old 10-22-2013, 03:33 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,238 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by mp535th
Just got a 2014 SG and kept all my leds off the old bike but not sure if want to put the phase 7 on the new one or just replace the bulbs with some piaa super whites or something. Any thoughts or has any here just replaced the bulbs?
One thing about the LED's, you'll probably never wear it out. I've never used the PIAA or Sylvania but from what I've read their life span isn't that great.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:09 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check out HIDs , I love them and a lot cheaper , you just need to wire in a switch to turn them off when you start your bike

Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
check out HIDs , I love them and a lot cheaper , you just need to wire in a switch to turn them off when you start your bike
PITA... LED light is plug and play. I've been the HID route, I'd pass.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I refuse to spend money on these so called brighter superwhite blah blah blah bulbs. The bulb life is not that long and they do not hold up well to vibration. Yes there are gonna be people who chime in and say I have had my Silverstars for 10 years and they are still going strong. Those are the rare exception. Not the rule. Even manufacturers like Philips, Sylvania/Osram and others state the life of these bulbs in life hours is way below a standard halogen bulb.

Stick with the Phase 7.

Quick Reply: TL phase 7 or bulb replacements