Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Needed for Crankcase Breather Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Advice Needed for Crankcase Breather Kit

I'm wanting to re-route the crankcase breather setup on my '09 RKC so that the oil mist does not enter the engine. It has the SE Stage II. So the AC backplate is different than stock. Id' like to route a hose downward and either rig a collector there or just vent to the wind. Does anyone know of a kit that will work?

Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Oldpanrider
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know of a kit but we just vented them down under the bikes for years. Also since it blows and doesn't suck there is no reason to put one of those weenie filters on the end of the hose. I know this isn't the politically correct way or "eco friendly" way in this day and age but it is the way it was done way back when

The following users liked this post:
Mongo1958 (12-31-2020)
Old 10-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Why did you read something about venting back into the throttle body that takes away from performance or something?

My S&S vents back into the TB . no issues.
If your getting heavy oil blow by just reduce her oil quantity to 3/4 full instead of full.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:58 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

panrider, just venting it down to the ground may cause a venturi affect and create a pulling vacuum from the wind going across the tube end.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 PM
BigTwins
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Wouldn't that be good since the same thing is sort of happening when it vents to the intake?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:52 PM
river rat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bingee, I feel your pain. I have a stage one on my 05 Road King. I also grew tired of the oil dripping out of the air cleaner. And running the oil level low does not work. I simply bought a dual ended crankcase breather filter. Plugged the back of the backing plate. And ran the hoses to each end of the breather filter. I have it right behind the backing plate. can't even see it. Been using it this way for four years, and no problems.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by river rat
Bingee, I feel your pain. I have a stage one on my 05 Road King. I also grew tired of the oil dripping out of the air cleaner. And running the oil level low does not work. I simply bought a dual ended crankcase breather filter. Plugged the back of the backing plate. And ran the hoses to each end of the breather filter. I have it right behind the backing plate. can't even see it. Been using it this way for four years, and no problems.
I did the same thing, once in a while a hold a rag on the filter to soak up the oil to prevent a mess.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:23 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

I am not a fan of external tubes drafting oil mist down and in front of rear tire. Worse case situation you could belch oil out and go for nasty ride. I use the Arlen Ness Big Sucker plate which eliminates the oil mist into the air filter area and routes it directly into the intake. This still goes back into the motor, but no mist condition exists into the filter side. If you are trying to keep the crankcase mist out of the motor, the Big Sucker does not eliminate this. I don't think installing filters on the end of the breathers is a good practice. The breathers are designed to "draw" the crankcase mist or vapors out of the crankcase, assisted by the case pressure and any restriction on the breather tubes could allow crankcase products to collect in the motor and be more of a negative then pulling the mist/vapor into the combustion chamber.

Last edited by checkers; 10-07-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliden
Why did you read something about venting back into the throttle body that takes away from performance or something?

My S&S vents back into the TB . no issues.
If your getting heavy oil blow by just reduce her oil quantity to 3/4 full instead of full.
No, this has nothing to do with performance, blow by, or anything like that. I just want to eliminate the buildup of crud in the throttle body.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:10 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
I'm wanting to re-route the crankcase breather setup on my '09 RKC so that the oil mist does not enter the engine. It has the SE Stage II. So the AC backplate is different than stock. Id' like to route a hose downward and either rig a collector there or just vent to the wind. Does anyone know of a kit that will work?
What kind of back plate do you have with the SE stage II? And how is it different than stock?

Quick Reply: Advice Needed for Crankcase Breather Kit