Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different Wheels = Different Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013 | 11:46 AM
Geezr Glidr
|
Grand HDF Member
Default Different Wheels = Different Ride?

2011 Limited Ultra. Did stretched bags & a fender cover in March. Thought I should do something with the front now, so I think I'm getting a plain SG front fender, and maybe new wheels. I like the 5 spoke wheels. I have those stock laced wheels on now. I heard that different wheels might give me a nicer ride than those stock laced ones. Nicer ride with different wheels?

Old 10-07-2013 | 12:17 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior

I would say the only way you would really change the overall ride quality is if you change the height of the sidewall or width of the tire. A lower profile and narrower tire will be more nimble, but not a cushy. They also tend to follow grooves and cracks in the road more. A comparison would be the Dyna Wide Glide and Fatbob. If you are going to keep the tire the same size, I don't think you'd feel a huge difference unless the new wheels are much lighter.

Old 10-07-2013 | 12:20 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

...or the weight of the wheel.

the reason for 'mag" wheels is that they weighed less.

unsprung weight ( the weight of parts which is not carried by the suspension) is a big deal.
lighter wheels, tires, brake rotors and fork lowers would contribute to better ride quality.
lighter wheels would also act less like a gyroscope.

mike

Old 10-07-2013 | 12:35 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
...or the weight of the wheel.

the reason for 'mag" wheels is that they weighed less.

unsprung weight ( the weight of parts which is not carried by the suspension) is a big deal.
lighter wheels, tires, brake rotors and fork lowers would contribute to better ride quality.
lighter wheels would also act less like a gyroscope.

mike
"MAG" is short for the lightweight material MAGnesium, over time and through improper usage the term mag has been adopted to describe any cast or billet wheels, mostly made of aluminum now. Anyway my SG "mag" wheels weigh 24lbs raw, no discs and no tire, upwards of 39lbs assembled, I wouldn't call that light just because it is a "mag" wheel.

Yes different wheels can equal a different ride, generally speaking lighter is better. In addition to the gyroscope effect, lighter wheels will accelerate and decelerate with less effort, meaning better braking and quicker acceleration. Suspension components will also have an easier job controlling less weght. The suspension will likely need retuned to maximize performance.

Old 10-07-2013 | 12:49 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Yes, magnesium, was what I meant and I could have been more descriptive of the common use.
thanks

Mike

Old 10-07-2013 | 01:56 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Some Harley 'mags' are indeed very heavy! It is likely that a wire-spoked wheel is lighter than any cast aluminium wheel, with forged wheels potentially being a little lighter. Unfortunately most of them are produced as custom designs and weights are not mentioned in advertising. Dresser wheels are available in carbon-fibre - now they are truly light weight!

Old 10-07-2013 | 04:57 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

05RK...I changed from the laced to the 9 spoke mags, also went to the Metzlers WWW 880's with the Dyna beads ( i don't think they make them any more, but the Avon Venoms are just as good in my opinion ) i do like the way my ride feels and handles...somehow i have more of an aggressive riding style, it might be because i feel the grip of the tires where i didn't feel it with my stock Dunlops.....OR....it's just in my head, and it possibly could be.

Old 10-07-2013 | 06:30 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Tires do make a difference but I have never felt any handling difference between Alum. or laced wheels on a harley. Very little difference going from 16 to 21 on front either? Just go for the look ya want.