Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sears Craftsman Motorcycle lift slide under yours?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put a 2x4 under the jiffy stand, then slide it under.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Red sear's lift won't slide under my 08 - hits the left frame rail. So, with my right hand on right grip, I pull the bike upright, slide the lift under with left hand and all set.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 637 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben221
Yep, its the red one. I am going to try and mod it as it aint broke. Thanks for the input.

Not trying to over explain things but this is how I do it in my bike that the jack won't fit under completely.

The first thing I did was find the point under my frame that had the best balance. I would lifet the bike up just a hair then rock it just enough to see how well it was balance. I would then move it forward of backwards until I found that perfect spot and made a mental note of it.

When lifting it, I get on the right side (opposite of the kick stand) and slide the jack under just about as far as it will go. Then I grab the handlebar and brake with my left hand pulling the bke toward me. I don't have to worry about it tipping all the way over on the right because the jack being under it from the right side will stop it. Once I've pulled the bike straight up with my left hand I slide the jack under with my righ. Once the jack is completely under the bike, I use my right hand to raise the jack until the frame is completely rested on the jack.

I've become so comfortable doing it like this that I feel more comfortable than jacking it up and letting rock to the right when the jack hits the left tube on the bottom of the frame. To me that is more scary than pulling it up and holding it.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Tanker2
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I have used that jack for 5 years now. When I had my 1999 Ultra, I had to stand it up as you have described. I now have a 2012 and I can jack it up right off the side stand. They changed the frame in 2009 and the jack just slips under it. Another thing to watch. When you have the bike on the jack let the pressure off the jack and let weight sit on the catches. Hydraulic bottle jack will last a lot longer that way. I had two replaced under warranty until I realized that.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:01 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same jack. My bike is lowered and I have to roll my front wheel up onto a 2x4 to be able to get the jack under my bike.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why can't you roll your bike up on a couple 2x4's or just 1 under the jiffy stand to raise the height

Old 10-07-2013, 10:07 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN CAM 96
Why can't you roll your bike up on a couple 2x4's or just 1 under the jiffy stand to raise the height
I have 2 pine boards about 2 ' long by 3/4" thick.
Just lay them down in front of each wheel and roll the bike on them.
It gives enough clearance to slide the jack under.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
I have 2 pine boards about 2 ' long by 3/4" thick.
Just lay them down in front of each wheel and roll the bike on them.
It gives enough clearance to slide the jack under.
Aaaaa yea. don't mod anything, just put a couple small pieces of plywood on the floor and roll the rear wheel on.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanker2
I have used that jack for 5 years now. When I had my 1999 Ultra, I had to stand it up as you have described. I now have a 2012 and I can jack it up right off the side stand. They changed the frame in 2009 and the jack just slips under it. Another thing to watch. When you have the bike on the jack let the pressure off the jack and let weight sit on the catches. Hydraulic bottle jack will last a lot longer that way. I had two replaced under warranty until I realized that.

Thanks and that is a great tip. No need to have the jack take the weight. I may just use the 2x4 but something just tells me I can adjust that jack to work. Maybe a couple of beers and staring at it will give me an idea.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:54 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
Red sear's lift won't slide under my 08 - hits the left frame rail. So, with my right hand on right grip, I pull the bike upright, slide the lift under with left hand and all set.
..umm..ya...exactly..this is what I've done for the last 20 years...no big deal....slide it under till it hits...then stand the bike up and slide it in the rest of the way...voila!

Quick Reply: Sears Craftsman Motorcycle lift slide under yours?