Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info on a REACH Seat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Harleyduo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on a REACH Seat?

My female friend currently rides a Heritage Softail Classic and wants to move up to a dresser. Since she can reach the ground on the Street Glide but wants to move up to an Ultra she's looking to duplicate the lowering shocks like are on the Street Glide. She's read that the REACH seat will also get her lower to the ground. We're wanting to know if anybody out there is currently using a reach seat on a dresser and what kind of difference it makes for you?

Old 03-09-2007, 10:44 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RE: Info on a REACH Seat?

I found the reach seat to be a poor excuse for a seat. To obtain the described benefits that the seat offers, you give up comfort due to much less padding. Oh it does lower you and it does move you forward but at a cost to comfort.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:14 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Not sure about your friend - on an ultra look at Wild1's 575 bars and the low profile rear shocks and If at all possible get a Custom Corbin - I see you do not live anywhere close to FL or CA - To bad - Corbin has a great offer - make an appoit and arrive on your bike, they make a custom seat to YOUR butt and at the end of the day (about 5-6 hours) you ride out with YOUR custom seat - I had this done on both my Wide Glide and My FLHTCI - I am 5'6" and the above combo works great for me...

My EG has been turned into a RG - same seat different bars - still a great ride

Old 03-09-2007, 11:22 PM
SLORider
Road Captain

I have the reach seat on a RKC. It works as intended and is a help. It's not a great seat but I can do six to eight hour days.

I also recommend getting her some boots with a logger heel and thick sole. It gets some lift from the other end.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:12 AM
StL Mike
Cruiser

I put a reach seat on my 05 Road Glide. I'm 5'9", and it put me flat footed. The longestg I've ridden it has been for 60 mile, but around town, it's been fine.
Mike

Old 03-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the reach saddle on my ultra, and added the Harley touring bars. I'm 5'6" and weight 175. the seat was okay for my wife, but i wanted more cushion after about 45 minutes. if you're lighter, the seat may be fine. I got Allen at Mean City Cycles to mod my stock seat, that works better for me. the sitting position is better with the touring handlebars and the seat position like the reach seat.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:26 AM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried a Reach seat and took it back. Honestly after only about 10 miles my rear end was so sore I could hardly sleep that night. So I had Allen at Mean City Cycles lower my stock seat 2 inches. It's great!

Old 03-11-2007, 12:18 AM
tackleberry1145
Advanced

I'm 5'4 with a 30" inseam, with the reach seat on my 07 ultra it definitely loweredthe seat heightsomewhat. But, I also agree with another poster who advised that the reach seat might be less comfortable. I am thinking about having our local seat guy cut down my factory seat.

I am planning on putting progressive 412s on the rear to lower the back end 1", that helped on my road king.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Noble Steed
Advanced

I'm with you, RonH. That thing SUCKS. It absolutely does what it says-lowers the seat hight 2". What is not in the description is that the lowered seat height is acheived by cutting out ALL of the padding. It feels like you are sitting on the frame. I could feel the frame rails through the seat. I rode it around the block and put it back in the box to mail it back. Do not buy this! I know it is all personal preference, but you will not find many people who like this seat. Try the Sundowner or a Mustand Day Tripper. Just my opinion. Good Luck

Old 03-11-2007, 02:10 PM
KCBULLDOG
Cruiser

I have one and it does what its supposed to do. It has nice back support and you really feel like you are in solid with the bike. Not noticed much on comfort as I have not been on a long ride yet. I did send my stock seat to Meancity for some shave work but it has not been sent back yet.