Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes hangers which ones have the best wrist position?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013 | 10:28 AM
heavymetalthunder
|
Grand HDF Member
Default Apes hangers which ones have the best wrist position?

I'm thinking about getting some 14" or 16" Apes hangers. I have problems with my wrist and need something with a wrist position where my wrist aren't bent in or out to much and are straight with my arms. I'm running the stock bars right now and am happy with them just wanting to raise mt hands up some. So which high bars have a neutral wrist position?

Old 10-06-2013 | 10:44 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

I'd suggest that any apes will put more stress on your wrist.

the higher the hands, the more weight of your arm is on your wrist.
and "hands up" turns the chest into a big 'ol sail- you'll take the force of the wind and have even more stress.

mike

Old 10-06-2013 | 10:50 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

The Yaffe Classic Bagger Apes have a very neutral grip position. It's one of the reasons that I chose them for my SG.

Old 10-06-2013 | 11:00 AM
Turret_plug
Road Master

I have cycle smiths 13" apes...... I wouldn't suggest them for a neutral wrist position, I'm 6' and they're shoulder height with stock seat on 2013 FLHX. They look sick, so I don't care if I'm a little uncomfortable.

+1 on mkguitar, it does turn you into a sail........ But I've had 18" apes before on my Dyna, I'm used to it!

Old 10-06-2013 | 11:00 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

I would think there are a lot of factors that have an effect on hand/wrist position. Your body type, short or long arms and torso, seat height, comfort level and riding style such as short or long rides just to name a few.

You live in a larger city and there are likely a lot of bikes there. I would go find where they congregate like a bike night or dealer event or something and find bikes similar to yours, ask the owner about them and if you can sit on his bike to try them out for a moment.
I tried this when looking for a seat and every person I talked to about this was helpful and it helped me to make a decision.

I remember reading maybe on here where a dude mocked up a set of bars with PVC pipe to get what he wanted and then had the bars made for him. He was happy but he did take a great deal of his time to make this happen.

Old 10-06-2013 | 11:11 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

"I'm running the stock bars right now and am happy with them"

Well, the stock bars have your wrists/hands turned out in an unnatural position and you say your happy with them? I had the HD Pull Back bars on and they were not bad but still had the same wrist position as stock.

I'm still finishing up the install on my 12" LA Chopper Twin Peak bars and have not rode the bike but just sitting still, my wrists and hands are basically facing straight ahead. I have the bars adjusted so my hands are just slightly higher then my elbows but lower then my shoulders and this feels right for me. I can't go any lower with the bars because they will hit my tank at full lock since I have an 1 1/2" tank lift installed.

Old 10-06-2013 | 11:33 AM
03electraglide
Advanced
Default bars

Arlen ness and u can adjust to your comfort and liking

Old 10-06-2013 | 11:48 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I'd suggest that any apes will put more stress on your wrist.

the higher the hands, the more weight of your arm is on your wrist.
and "hands up" turns the chest into a big 'ol sail- you'll take the force of the wind and have even more stress.

mike
That's got to be the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. If you don't like apes then just say you don't like apes and move on.

The stock bars have the most un-natural feel to them unless you have really short arms. Wrist angle is terrible. As stated earlier, go to bike night and look at other bikes and ask questions. Do your homework and do plenty of research before you buy. There are many makes of bars with a neutral hand and wrist position. You'll find way more positive responses to apes in regards to hand, shoulder, and back pain than you will find negative ones.

Old 10-06-2013 | 11:52 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I can't see how tall apes are going to help a wrist problem. You will be like a sail while riding at any speed, hanging on to the bars with a vice like grip! A lower position so you can relax your hand and arm muscles would make more sense to me.

As with any bars, close your eyes and extend your arms forwards as if you are gripping a pair of bars. Your hands will adopt a natural position for you. Don't choose bars by what anyone else says, as we are each different and your wrists are YOURS!

I had problems with my shoulders with my current Glide and eventually plucked up courage to adjust the bars. It took me several attempts to get them right, but suddenly we were fine together. So before spending any money, get the best out of your current bars. As they rotate in the clamps, the grips will change angle and you may find there is a position where they are just right. Cost? Zero!

Old 10-06-2013 | 11:52 AM
2 Evil
Cruiser

12" Yaffe monkeys on my 2010 Road king and they are absolutely perfect position for me. Did 800 miles in 2 day's with no problems.

Sent while riding!

Quick Reply: Apes hangers which ones have the best wrist position?