Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes hangers which ones have the best wrist position?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013 | 12:29 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member

Is it the Wild1's web page that shows the wrist angles of all their bars ??
I'm perfectly happy with my 16" Twin Peaks.
Wrists, elbows, shoulders, neck, and back no longer ache
during or after a 200 mile ride let alone a 500 mile jaunt.

Attached Thumbnails Apes hangers which ones have the best wrist position?-img_0874-large-.jpg  
Old 10-06-2013 | 12:34 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

I can't explain it, but I'm 6'5" and the stock bars work fine for me. No back, shoulder, or neck pain. I tried a set of wild ones on my last batwing and immediately had a burning pain between my shoulders. Apes are sick as hell on a batwing, but I'm afraid to try them when what I have works perfectly.

Old 10-06-2013 | 12:45 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

There is no "Sail" problem when running a fairing. Fact unless you have 18" bars or something and even then you are talking wind on the underside of your arms. Big whoop.

Running the right size Apes put your back straight so you are not hunched over and straightens the neck which naturally alleviates pain, which can help you ride longer due to less fatigue and less stress on the spine during shock events. Think about bull riders. You don't see them hunched over. Back straight and head up.

Wrist angle has less to do with height and more about how your hands meet the bars. Applies to any bars short or tall. Find a set of bars that when you reach your arms out, the bars fit naturally into your palms.

I have a long, long list of apes and standard bars that failed. Finally found the bars found in my signature.

lp

Old 10-06-2013 | 01:34 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member

Take a look athe Khromewerks site. they have an as installed chart and various photos w/ dimensions to let you see what you might want. I installed their 14' fat apes (#300326), almost perfect But a little shorter than i thought.

Old 10-06-2013 | 02:13 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

What kind of oil should I run?

Old 10-06-2013 | 02:16 PM
Firezapper
Cruiser

I know it is not a touring bike. I've had shoulder surgery on my right and should have had it in the left. Both of my elbows ache at times. With my stock bars, everything would hurt after a couple hours. Now with my 16" minis I can ride all day.

I suggest a custom set, check out BR videos on YouTube to see how to measure.

Old 10-06-2013 | 02:21 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

IMO, discomfort from wrong fitting handlebars is caused by two things:

Handlebars that are too low causing the ride to lean too far forward, OR bars that have too steep of a grip angle and force the rider to turn their wrists in an uncomfortable position.

I have '13 CVO S/E Ultra and I knew from the first time that I sat on my bike that the handlebars would have to be changed. After a one day, 500 mile ride, I made the decision to start looking for a new set of bars.

I'm about 6'-2" and I have along torso, so that means I sit a bit higher in the seat than average (if there is such a thing) riders, so I decided that I needed both rise and pullback in a set of bars.
Grip angle was another important issue for me.
Most stock bars are steeply angled to give more "reach" to the rider, but by doing this, it gives the bars more of a "wheel-barreled" feel.

Without going into some very expensive, fully adjustable bars, I went with the Wild Ones, 577 bars, with a 12.5" rise and the 40 degree grip angle works fine for me.
In retrospect, I could probably have went with the 578's (10" rise) but I knew that I'd be happier with a bar that was a little too high, than one that was a little too low.
The WO 578's sit lower behind the fairing, but the 577's are a bit over the windbreak of the fairing so I installed a pair of hand wind deflectors (J.C. Whitney) and they work fine.
I use my rider backrest and I sit straight up with my elbows are slightly bent with my hands on the grips and my hands are a bit lower than my shoulders.

Old 10-06-2013 | 03:58 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jswerve
Run with what brung ya here

Old 10-06-2013 | 04:05 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior

Unlike the above naysayers, I have actually run apes on 3 different Harleys. Sportster, Heritage Softail and my current RKC. All had 16". I found all 3 to be exceptionally more comfortable than the stock bars. That being said the grip angle is probably different for different riders. Just like a seat, I may love it and you may hate it. Try to see if you can find someone with the apes you are considering and try them. I had Burly Brand on my Sporty, can't recall the type on my Softail and have Carlini on my RKC. All seemed to work for me quite well.

Old 10-06-2013 | 04:56 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
I can't explain it, but I'm 6'5" and the stock bars work fine for me. No back, shoulder, or neck pain. I tried a set of wild ones on my last batwing and immediately had a burning pain between my shoulders. Apes are sick as hell on a batwing, but I'm afraid to try them when what I have works perfectly.
I tried the wild ones also and had the same problem, wrist angle was to much for me , so I am on my second set of apes HD batwings the wrist angle on these is more natural to me , I just wish they were taller. Planning on some KST 14 Mayhems.

Originally Posted by Jswerve
lol!!!

Quick Reply: Apes hangers which ones have the best wrist position?