Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions Wanted...First Harley Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Outlawxxx
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions Wanted...First Harley Purchase

I am finally stationed at a location (Department of Defense) where there are numerous guys that ride, so I have decided to buy a bike. I haven't owned a bike in 16 years, but with quite a few guys to ride with, I am now in the market. One of my good friends deployed last month and asked that I ride the **** out of his bike while he's gone, so I am doing just that. He has a 2007 Ultra Glide and I like everything about the bike, but I don't need the luggage capacity, and I don't really like the look. I took another buddy's 2007 Street Glide to lunch today and fell in love. My question is...being a first time Harley owner, and reintroducing myself to riding, am I better off buying an older Electra Glide (and modifying it for the Street Glide look) or looking into a Street Glide? Also, in looking through different classifieds, I expected to see a bigger price differential between the 2006 and 2007 model (due to all of the changes/upgrades). So, is there a reason to buy a 2006 over a 2007, if they are relatively the same price with similar mileage?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, you are ***ked. Just buy a 2014 SGS and change your life for the better. Fair warning...once you buy your first Harley...well there is no going back.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:52 PM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

+1. Or wait for the Road Glide to come back.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:35 AM
skipperhd1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool good situation

it's nice to be able to ride some of harley's bikes before you make a purchase! sounds like you already have an idea of the bike you want. you can strip down or build up any given harley, so it gets down to price and condition! you can get good quality advice here at the forum! good luck! cheers from montana

Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

all the touring models, of the same year, are the same bike- plus or minus some plastic and speakers.

there are differences from year to year, usually minor changes. 2009 marked a major change in the frame. possibly reducing the value of the earlier bikes.

the "idea" of a H-D is to start with a basic good bike and make it your own...strip it down or add stuff to it, whatever suits your needs.

alot of us have full touring bikes..but strip down for around town use.

One opinion that I am very firm on:
These are not sport bikes.
Most performance mods will add cost and reduce reliability, longevity and MPG.
I just change pipes and air cleaner, then retune and leave them.
To do more that that is just a constant discovery of the "next weakest link", most of the parts are not engineered to accept greater stresses.

To make a HD go fast, stop and turn will cost 2 x Hayabusa.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-04-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't let the 2009 frame redesign impress you too much. Other changes made caused durability problems in other areas. Some of the coolest (and most bike per dollar) are the 2004-2006 screamin eagle touring bikes. These bikes come with custom paint, a 103 engine and a ton of Chrome. The engines were bulletproof and these bikes are typically under ridden and are also reasonably priced now. One of my personal favorites is the 2005 seeg in cherry. It might take a little looking to find the color you want, but these will make a great bike...

Old 10-04-2013, 06:51 AM
V-Man
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SG is a great bike, IMHO. As has been said, you can always pony up the cash for add-ons that will give you the look and touring conveniences of your buddy's Ultra Glide if you ever want to do that. And if you don't, you've got that sleek solo look without sacrificing ride comfort.

Good luck with whatever you choose - and don't come back here without pics, dammit! LOL

Old 10-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 132 Posts

If your the kind or person that has to change everything to make it your own.....go for the older Ultra, you can have the best of both worlds. Strip of the tour pack and change the seat....you got a Street Glide. Going 2 up with someone and need the storage, put the tour pack on and you have it. Of course you will have to get the docking hardware to make it removable, but as said, if you are going to make a lot of changes anyway that's nothing.
If you are going to leave the bike alone and just ride it......I know crazy, but some folks do that. Go with the Street Glide. You got some storage, its lighter easier to maneuver.
What kind of riding you are going to do may make you think about one or the other. If you and your friends are doing 400-500 miles a day....go with the Ultra. Local 50 mile runs, the Street Glide is fine...not downing the SG, the suspension on the Ultra is a little smoother.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:12 AM
newmex46
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 SGS! Not to offend anyone, but anything above a Street Glide is something I would ride when im over 70y/o. Just my honest opinion

Old 10-04-2013, 07:17 AM
buggin02
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Be warned...it is a sickness.
One Harley is too many and 100 Harley's is not enough.
You will force yourself to eat hotdogs & macroni just to afford that next piece of chrome.
Your prized cage will no longer matter unless it's a Harley badged truck.
You will shop for your kids school clothes at the Goodwill store.
You will consider sleeping in the garage a good thing when you buy the next one without getting the wife's approval.
Your wardrobe will slowly and inexorably morph into a miniature Motorclothes department.
You will move the wifes car out of the garage to give you more take-off part storage space.
Life activities will be scheduled around riding.
All other hobbies will fade to obscurity.
And you will enjoy every minute of it.
You have been warned!

Now to answer your question, either one is a great bike. Whichever one you can get the best deal on with the lowest mileage is the one to buy. I personally would go for the Ultra and take the stuff off that I didn't want because later you my find out you want it on there. The seat is more comfortable and the shocks have more travel which. The Street Glide has always be a harsh ride for me but I have a bad back. Plenty of guys riding Street Glides that love them. Shocks and seats are not hard to swap out.

Good Luck on your purchase and I like the 04-06 CVO idea too.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted...First Harley Purchase