Sponsored by:

Hydraulic? Fluid dump, '14 limited

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013 | 09:38 AM
rvnkontum
|
Tourer
Default Hydraulic? Fluid dump, '14 limited

Just went to take my Bike out of the garage, backed it up and noticed there was a huge puddle under where the left lower fairing had been positioned. After all the clutch problems I've had with this new bike, I assume it's the hydraulic fluid. my issues started with a clutch that was pretty uch in gear all the time, but I didn't realize it, just thought I had a very responsive clutch, Went to the dealer to ask for clutch adjustment, told me no, this is the new system, no adjustment to be made, Shortly thereafter it got to where I couldn't get into N and it was difficult shift, dealer took the bike and bled the whole system. A couple of days later I took out the bike, and when I put it in 1st, bike took off by itself, back to dealer, this time I called MOCO in Milwaukee, they overnighted Master Cylinder, Actuator, and new Clutch Cable. I have diamondback cables so they didn't swap them. Bike has been running okay for about a week after the "fix", today, I find the huge puddle under the bike. My dealer is in "training" today, store closed to public, so left a message with my salesman and asked him to convey the news to service, and have them pick up the bike first thing in the morning. I also told him that this bike has been one problem after the other, that I didn't think this model was ready for release yet, and that I felt like I had a Lemon On my hands!

Old 10-02-2013 | 09:44 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Sure it's not coolant? I hope whatever it is, the dealer gets it fixed for you.

The people who have a '14 Limited, that are not experiencing any problems, really love their bikes. Hope you get it sorted out soon......

Old 10-02-2013 | 09:53 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

^^^x1, inspect the spilled fluids and let us know if it is brake fluid or coolant. "Huge puddle" implies coolant.

Old 10-02-2013 | 09:54 AM
rvnkontum
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by hattitude
Sure it's not coolant? I hope whatever it is, the dealer gets it fixed for you.

The people who have a '14 Limited, that are not experiencing any problems, really love their bikes. Hope you get it sorted out soon......
honestly, it could be coolant, I don't know, it seemed to have a yellow color to it, but I wasn't sure if that was a reflection from something els or the liquid itself. It was also like water to the touch. I don't know what it is, but it's not right, just called MOCO they said theyGd get right back to me.

Old 10-02-2013 | 10:16 AM
CJ Sedona
Tourer

I'm glad they got the clutch working properly for you . The new puddle on the other hand

Old 10-02-2013 | 10:22 AM
Shovelhed
Tourer

If it was clutch, it'd be a puddle farther back by tranny and not by the front left fairing I'd think

Old 10-02-2013 | 10:29 AM
jasnusc
Road Master

Pop the cover off of the right side lower and see if the overflow bottle is still up to the limit line. If it dumpled coolant the bottle is usually empty or really low.

Old 10-02-2013 | 10:32 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Wasn't the delivered coolant like pinkish?

BTW, man you have had some issues with that bike! wow. Maybe the yellow fluid is lemon juice?

lp

Old 10-02-2013 | 10:42 AM
mgibson61611
Tourer

Originally Posted by Shovelhed
If it was clutch, it'd be a puddle farther back by tranny and not by the front left fairing I'd think
As I recall, they changed the clutch master & slave cylinder on your bike, correct? (I assume they retained the original lines; I don't know if there are any junctions in those lines, but I'd assume as well they weren't touched either). That said, it could be from the master cylinder reservoir cover, the joint from the master to the clutch line, or even running back from the slave to a low spot on the line (like if the line running to the clutch slave is lover than the slave, etc. on the right side of the bike.). I suppose there could be a sealing issue within the master cylinder as well.

- I'd inspect further; any film on the clutch lever or around the reservoir cover? (it would have likely run down the lever to drip on the floor).
- Anything apparent on the clutch line running under the bike?
- Does the liquid feel "dry but slippery"? (that's how DOT 4 fluid feels to me)
- BE CAREFUL! if it's DOT 4, it will damage paint. Don't get it in your eyes either. See your manual for more info on that stuff.
- The factory coolant is red/orange; I wouldn't describe it as yellow.

Best of luck! I hope the dealer gets things sorted for you quickly

Old 10-02-2013 | 10:57 AM
Nute
Road Master

Taste it! If it's sweet it's anti-freeze! lol )

Quick Reply: Hydraulic? Fluid dump, '14 limited