Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21in wheel with one caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 03:12 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 21in wheel with one caliper?

Hey all, as winter approaches and my sturgis bike damage is soon to be repaired I have looked into going 21 in the front with only one caliper. That would require shaving the right side lower fork and rechroming to lose the bracket on that side. It really opens up that side of the bike and allows the wheel to be seen. To those of you that have done this have you changed the caliper to a six piston? Or just kept the hd one?? Thanks for any insight...

My 08 crimson red street glide soon to be a black gold street glide....

Old 10-01-2013, 05:28 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I would never want to reduce my braking power for the sake of making the wheel more visable JMHO of course. When you go to a 21 a lot more of the front wheel will be visable anyway and it will give the illusion that the rotors are smaller.

Look at the front wheel on the 14 SGS and thats a 19inch

Last edited by ejvette; 10-01-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:33 PM
silverbullitt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine did this a few years ago. He shaved the right fork and had them powdercoated black, and used a PM 6 piston caliper.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

There are lots of ways to do this and plenty of people do. Some shave the stock legs, some get a set of aftermarket legs designed for a single disc, some use a stock caliper with a stock rotor, some get a 13" rotor and 6 piston caliper.

We have done plenty of conversions and both of our shop bikes have single discs on them and stop quite well.

There is no question that the bike looks much cleaner with the single disc setup. Couple that with a 13" floating rotor and a 6 piston PM caliper and you will be stopping quickly for sure.

I have lots of single disc baggers in my bagger gallery. Have a look through and see for yourself.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:42 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a single front disk on the Switchback, and don't miss it one bit.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:26 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

If you go single I would HIGHLY recommend going up to a 13" rotor and 6 piston caliper. I did this on my old Road Glide and it was a night and day difference between the stock rotor and 13" rotor.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

This comes up every now and then. Depends to some degree on what use you are going to put your bike to and if you ride mostly solo, or go 2-up and plan on crossing the Continent! Personally I have a stock front wheel with twin 13" floating rotors and 6-pot calipers. I wouldn't want only one of each!

Old 10-02-2013, 05:43 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive seen a setup in which 2 calipers were mounted on the left side..on one rotor. Very Slick!

Old 10-02-2013, 06:21 AM
jsims002
Cruiser

Originally Posted by timvan
Ive seen a setup in which 2 calipers were mounted on the left side..on one rotor. Very Slick!
Had to look that one up. Good idea, don't think I would do it though. What's the point anyway, gonna force people to stay on the right side of the bike to look? With a dual caliper setup, I'm sure most will want to check it out which defeats the purpose of deleting a rotor to see the open wheel. Everyone will want to look at all that busy stuff going on the dual caliper side.

http://www.nativecustombaggers.com/m.../kdachx_3.jpeg

Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jsims002
Had to look that one up. Good idea, don't think I would do it though. What's the point anyway, gonna force people to stay on the right side of the bike to look? With a dual caliper setup, I'm sure most will want to check it out which defeats the purpose of deleting a rotor to see the open wheel. Everyone will want to look at all that busy stuff going on the dual caliper side.

http://www.nativecustombaggers.com/m.../kdachx_3.jpeg

They do it on the left side since that is the "low" side when on a kickstand. Only issue I would worry about on any single sided rotor would be the extreme amount of fork flex from the top triple tree

Quick Reply: 21in wheel with one caliper?