Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 FLHS help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM
90FLHS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 FLHS help

hey everyone, Just bought my 1990 electra glide sport. just had a few questions. What oil should i use in the crankcase? and is there a seperate transmission and primary fluid? Is there anyone with maybe an online manual for this bike? any help is appreciated.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:25 PM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

What oil should i use in the crankcase? I only use Mobil 1 20 w 50 synthetic v twin in any HD I have ever owned but any 20 w 50 oil like screamin eagle, Red Line or Belray are good as well. If it has high miles, I would recommend dino oil to reduce crankcase leaks.

Is there a seperate transmission and primary fluid? yes. Primary generally takes 1 qt (same 20 w 50 oil) and the tranny usually takes the same amount. For the tranny, I only use Red Line shockproof but you can also use the same 20 w 50 oil in there as well

Do yourself a favor and buy a genuine service manual from the MoCo. Worth its' weight in gold. I do all of my own work, always....

Old 09-30-2013, 07:15 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

hold it.

don't use synthetic in that bike, the seals won't take it and it'll leak like a sieve.

i use the H-D 360 20w50 in my Evos, there are equivalent brands at any bike shop- just make sure they are spec'd for V twins ( air cooled bikes).

H-D makes a primary lube which works well, get 2 quarts, 1 will not be enough. Try to use same fluid that is in there now- the clutch plates absorb fluid and changing up lubes may not give best results.

the primary lube is not shared with the tranny.

There are also tranny specific lubes, brand doesn;t matter much- but if you use redline- the red color may be handy if you are tracking leaks...red= tranny!

the first few years of twin cam production, H-D spec'd a synthetic blend 20w50 in all 3 holes- that may be what the previous poster was referencing.

you will NEED a factory service manual ( not a clymer/haynes) OR a good local independent shop, the dealer probably will not support an older bike with parts or service

the oil drain is behind the right side cover, when you have the oil filter off, check the the filter mount is securely bolted under there, they can get loose.
the primary drain is at the rear of the primary case facing down, it's an allen head plug
tranny drain is underneath

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-30-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

1990 FLHS owner here, owned from new! Welcome to HDF from the UK. Your first step should be to get a factory service manual, from your local dealer, which will answer most of your questions, when you get around to doing oil changes and other service stuff. There are no legal on-line manuals.

As for oils you can get those from your local friendly Harley dealer, or use other brands of V-twin oils for the engine. Your engine oil is carried in the oil bag on the right side of your bike, as the engine is dry sump. It also has separate primary and transmission oil reservoirs.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:03 PM
90FLHS
6th Gear

ok thanks guys appreciate it. ill swing by my harley shop and get a manual

Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Crankcase - Mobil1 15w/50 (buy the 5 quart jug at Walmart)
Primary - RevTech Primary Fluid (same as the old HD "Primary Chaincase Lubricant" that they don't sell any more). You have to get this from 3rd-party sellers, HD doesn't sell it.
Transmission - Mobil1 75w/90 gear oil

You'll probably have to look hard for an online version of the service manual.
You might try looking for a used copy.
Clymer also had a service manual that (although not as good as Harley's) was usable.

Recommendation:
DO NOT put Locktite on the primary cover bolts. Just hand-tight with a small wrench, and then a little more...

Old 10-02-2013, 04:56 AM
skipperhd1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool nice scoot!

oil is expensive. i try to stay with harley oils, i've had no issues with harley"s lubes over the years, just good piece of mind! i don't like to change brands, that's just me! cheers from montana

Old 10-04-2013, 03:35 PM
90FLHS
6th Gear

got my harley manual ordered. should answer the rest of my questions. thanks guys

Old 10-04-2013, 04:29 PM
kirbyblue
Tourer

I have '92 flhs. I dont think I would trade it even for a '14. Its a fine bike. I buy all my fluids from the local Honda shop. how about a picture?

Old 10-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Shovelhed
Tourer

Congrats on the new bike! Pics??

Quick Reply: 1990 FLHS help