Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheaping Out on Brake Line

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Cheaping Out on Brake Line

Not wanting anymore down time and looking at the front brake line to the master cylinder, it appears that if I move it to the bottom of the trees, I can gain at least 6" of length. That plus the normal play already would give me the length+ I need for the 12" bars.

I don't see any drawbacks to this plan, any comments???

Later over the winter, I can always swap it out for the 2 piece Magnum set up.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:17 AM
TeamMudd
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

if it's the same brake line as on my Ultra Classic, then it will be stretched REALLY tight with 12" bars! i couldn't roll mine back hardly at all with the stock brake line. it was so tight i didn't feel comfortable at all! you can try moving things around and re-routing lines, it will give you some room, but not as much as the magnum set up.

i went with the Magnum 2 piece set up! MUCH MUCH better and easier to work with too! it only took 2 days for mine to come in once i placed the order.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:17 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamMudd
if it's the same brake line as on my Ultra Classic, then it will be stretched REALLY tight with 12" bars! i couldn't roll mine back hardly at all with the stock brake line. it was so tight i didn't feel comfortable at all! you can try moving things around and re-routing lines, it will give you some room, but not as much as the magnum set up.

i went with the Magnum 2 piece set up! MUCH MUCH better and easier to work with too! it only took 2 days for mine to come in once i placed the order.
In the stock location you would be right because it's looped around the "trees". If it exits under the trees you gain 10+ inches as long as it doesn't kink. I'll try it and if it's a no go, I'll order the magnum set-up.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:45 PM
TeamMudd
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

hey, if you can re route it for TEN or more inches, that would be you're call. changed the routing on mine and gained enough to reach the bars.... might not be the same line then.... i had the brake line and clutch cable re-routed (clutch cable outside the fairing and brake line up the center)...

i put the brake line up from the center directly to the bars (you can see it in the pic of the front) and up the side, after i rolled them back a bit more than the pics it stretched tight tight. if there was 10 inches to spare, it wasn't on this brake line lol.

Attached Thumbnails Cheaping Out on Brake Line-img_20130923_110213_546.jpg   Cheaping Out on Brake Line-img_20130923_110146_980.jpg