Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-Twin Reference App a must carry on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013 | 11:37 PM
jahays32
|
Tourer
Default V-Twin Reference App a must carry on the road.

So on my trip to Dallas I go into limp mode 40 miles above Wichita Falls. I pull off under a overpass. Whew thanks for the shade it was hot.

I call HD number for extended warranty on my card. I get a sorry it's Sunday call back Monday. So I google a tow company. While waiting I pull up the V-twin app and it says check your diagnostic codes and explains how to get them. So I do and get a 1511 and 2185 if memory serves me correctly. I look up the codes on the app and it mentions the throttle body. So its been an hour now and I try the bike it stills has no throttle. So I see a big plug going into the throttle body and I proceed to unplug it and it looks fine and I plug it back.I check the bike and now I have the throttle back.
Tow truck arrives and I tell him to follow me to the HD dealer in W.F. I exit the freeway at the dealer and it goes back into limp mode. I find out the dealer is closed on Sunday and Monday.
So I pay the tow company $200.00 I saved $50.00 for not having to load the bike up on the truck.
Now I'm 130 miles from Dallas which has dealers open on Monday so after 5 times of having to pull over and take the plug off and on I make it to the American Eagle HD in Corinth. I pull up their website and they have a preferred towing link. I call the tow company and asked if he was bringing any bikes over. He said no but that I could leave it outside the service shop if I wanted to they had cameras looking at that area. My son was now here to pick me up (he was who I was coming down to see) so he had to go to work that next morning so to keep it simple I took all my stuff out and left the bike. It was starting to run real crappy and at this point and I did not want to have to tow it again or screw with it in Dallas morning commuting traffic. They fixed and washed the bike by noon. It was bad connections on that plug. $50.00 and I am back on my bike again. Awesome dealer.
Here is what I learned from this experience:
1.Get the app on your phone
2.Do not call the extended service card number for a tow.
3.Call the nearest HD dealer and get their preferred towing company so that they can pay the towing company if your ESC claim is approved and you wont have to put the money out and be reimbursed. At least this dealer gets the money from HD.
4. You will need to call the ESC card number to submit reimbursement for food and hotel. I submitted $200.00 towing and had a check in 1 week.
5. ESC will only pay up to $200.00 for a tow if your claim is approved. So I hit the max.
6. Limp mode suks ***.
7. Some dealers are closed on Sunday and Monday. So if you travel on these days you may want to plan your route.
8. It is at least $900.00 to be towed 200 miles. I got this estimate from 2 tow companies from my area if I broke down between Reno and Las Vegas 200 miles would be the furthest I could get from a dealer going either direction. these were the HD preferred towing companies.
9. There are people on CL that will do it cheaper if you don't have another option.

Old 09-30-2013 | 12:25 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

HOG membership comes with basic roadside.

a $20 upgrade gets you unlimited mileage towing to the nearest dealer.

That's what i use when touring, but this Sunday.Monday thing could be a real problem

by searching the internets, I was able to get a .pdf of service manual- it's on my phone

Mike

Old 09-30-2013 | 12:54 AM
jetfixer62
Cruiser

what app are you using?

Old 09-30-2013 | 12:57 AM
chris h.
Tourer

I have AAA RV Plus which covers all of my vehicles. I wanna say I get free tow up to 100 miles.

Old 09-30-2013 | 05:51 AM
Guitardude
Club Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
HOG membership comes with basic roadside.

a $20 upgrade gets you unlimited mileage towing to the nearest dealer.

That's what i use when touring, but this Sunday.Monday thing could be a real problem

by searching the internets, I was able to get a .pdf of service manual- it's on my phone

Mike

Old 09-30-2013 | 06:24 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jetfixer62
what app are you using?
^^^ Yea this

Old 09-30-2013 | 08:15 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

most motorcycle insurance offers an up grade for a few bucks that includes unlimited towing and trip interruption coverage. check with your company...it is usually cheaper than joining HOG and buying their up grade.

Old 09-30-2013 | 10:03 AM
whyrzwaldo
Tourer

It is a great little app to have. I'm on android so I can't speak for apple but it's in the google play store and it's named "V Twin Reference". Great info to have at your fingertips when needed. My favorite is the step by step security override procedure to get the bike started when your fob battery dies. You can look up the nearest HDdealer, Capacities,diagnostic procedures and codes,eitms info, plus more. All nice to have in your pocket when you need to get the info quickly and easily.

Old 09-30-2013 | 10:22 AM
dixidawg
Advanced

I can't find it on Google Play when I search for V Twin Reference. What am I missing?

Old 09-30-2013 | 10:46 AM
Bait56
Club Member
Veteran: Army

The app has been pulled.

Quick Reply: V-Twin Reference App a must carry on the road.