Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Neutral rattle?

I've picked up a rattle, more pronounced when cold, seems to be worse in neutral but still hearing it at times up through 4th...hard acceleration and it goes away.

I thought maybe it was exhaust, on the front/bottom header at the tranny mount, took it all apart and put back together making sure to seal and tighten everything, even replaced the rubber grommet where they exhaust mounts, but didn't make any difference.

Is this the transmission rattle that others have complained about?

Bike is under warrantee till November, guess maybe I need to have the dealer go over it before it runs out...

Old 09-28-2013, 04:47 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

neutral rattle is from gears rattling on the shafts with no load, in gear while riding you don't hear it. keep looking. Mike

Old 09-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Dozer40
Road Warrior
Received 328 Likes on 176 Posts

I picked up a rattle like that myself. I thought it was the clutch cable adjustment hardware tapping on a down tube but it's got me scratchin my melon.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:15 PM
paulhog
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

you sure it's not coming from the front left? could be the primary chain or compensator. how are the fluid levels?

Old 09-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,024 Likes on 4,212 Posts

There is only a few year span of the transmission neutral rattle. Think by 2012, it was fixed with helical gearing in all but first. Think only ones that did it were the ones with spur 1 and 5th and helical 2-4 and 6th. This is one of the years (2008) transmission with the rattle. Even they do not rattle in gear with clutch out at speed. Second is a 2012

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by paulhog
you sure it's not coming from the front left? could be the primary chain or compensator. how are the fluid levels?
Just changed all 3 holes and everything looks good...compensator shouldn't be an issue on the 12, and primary chain checked good. Sure sounds like it's coming from the right, and first thought was a loose heat shield on the Rush Racing headers...but so far no luck finding it.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:10 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the compensators are still giving problems on the '12's...mine was replaced at 27k. the moco is going to do as little as possible...fix what they have to under warranty...tell everyone that it is normal...and keep making gradual changes. corporate america in 2013--plain and simple. all decisions are based on the question "what is the least we can spend to take care of this problem...since most people do not ride enough to have this problem in the first 2 years...let's tell everyone that it is normal and fix the one's we have to under warranty". i would love to see the moco have to give a 50k warranty on their bikes with no time limit. they would either go broke, or take care of the issues before they become big problems.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:16 PM
paulhog
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
the compensators are still giving problems on the '12's...mine was replaced at 27k. the moco is going to do as little as possible...fix what they have to under warranty...tell everyone that it is normal...and keep making gradual changes. corporate america in 2013--plain and simple. all decisions are based on the question "what is the least we can spend to take care of this problem...since most people do not ride enough to have this problem in the first 2 years...let's tell everyone that it is normal and fix the one's we have to under warranty". i would love to see the moco have to give a 50k warranty on their bikes with no time limit. they would either go broke, or take care of the issues before they become big problems.
This is true. Just had mine replaced 2 weeks ago (27,500 miles) with the 2014 compensator. Much better!

Old 09-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
There is only a few year span of the transmission neutral rattle. Think by 2012, it was fixed with helical gearing in all but first. Think only ones that did it were the ones with spur 1 and 5th and helical 2-4 and 6th. This is the transmission with the rattle. Even they do not rattle in gear with clutch out at speed.

What you have posted in your response is actually a Baker gear set. Is Harley selling Baker units in the late models?

Old 09-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,024 Likes on 4,212 Posts

Thanks Def, think I fixed it above. Grabbed a little thumbnail and did not proof check? HA. Interesting that the Baker has three spur gear sets and that their thought is OK for a helical first gear.

Quick Reply: Neutral rattle?