Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

RIPSAW I have a friend with a 2013 with the loudest neutral rattle it makes a banging sound. The dealer told him it was normal.....

Trucky911

Old 09-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My compensator sprocket was replaced at about 22K on my 2012. I also have an occasional neutral rattle too especially after she's real warmed up. Asked the service guy about it and he asked if my previous bike was a metric....

Old 09-29-2013, 05:31 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,024 Likes on 4,212 Posts

Originally Posted by Trucky911
RIPSAW I have a friend with a 2013 with the loudest neutral rattle it makes a banging sound. The dealer told him it was normal.....

Trucky911
Sorry, did not know a banging sound was a neutral rattle.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:15 AM
pdzani
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 that starting making all kinds of noise in neutral when warmed up, this happened around 3K just before a 3K road trip. I would stop to fuel up, hit the starter and it sounded like rocks and marbles bouncing around. The noise started around the rear cylinder, transmission top area. I have had 9 harley bikes in 30 years of riding, 3 of them twin cams and I know what normal engine and valve train noise sounds like and this was not it.

Took it to my dealer before the trip, said it was normal. Took it to 2 dealers along my trip to make sure it was not going to self destruct. They both said neutral rattle, normal.

When I got home starting researching it on line, heard that adjusting the clutch rod to the low end of the spec 1/2 a turn out after it seats, may help. I was surprised that it did actually help to the point I hardly hear it anymore. I don't know if the engine vibration at idle caused the clutch rod to make this noise bouncing from the clutch side to the tranny side inside the main input shaft or not. There is alot of play inside the input shaft, (no seals) for that rod to bounce around, I know that from rebuilding the trans in my 09 ultra. All I know is that I was happy it stopped.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

yep, mine does the same thing,more pronounced after it is warmed up. sloppy manufacturing and design is to blame. harley puts profits over everything else,even your safety.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:02 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

posted originally by Dawg.

HD put out service bulletin M1304 for all 07 and later twin cams which states:

"When a motorcycle is at operating temperature and in neutral, a rattling sound may be heard on the right side coming from the area of the transmission side cover. This sound is normal and is referred to as neutral rattle. To verify the sound is neutral rattle, pull in the clutch lever and hold it for 10 to 15 seconds. If the sound stops, it is neutral rattle. Neutral rattle is caused by the necessary backlash within the first gear pair."

Old 09-29-2013, 12:26 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the Harley bulletin regarding neutral rattle, and having a pretty severe case of it with my bike, I'd say it isn't neutral rattle.

Since new, I've had an issue with a really loud bearing-like rattle at take off. (But only at take off.) It didn't happen every time and the dealer could never figure it out.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago: took the bike to an indy with this very complaint and they take it apart but everything seemed normal, though while putting it back together, the owner thought the primary chain looked loose and manually adjusted it. Have only been able to put about 80 miles on it since the repair, but it hasn't made the noise once.

The threads for the search for the problem and the resolution are posted here at HDForums.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I decided to spend a beautiful riding day wrenching bikes...that and put up a new garage door opener.

Decided to take the complete exhaust system OFF and as I was doing so found the problem. One of the heat shield clamps had a broken weld. Took me longer to get the Mig wire wielder cranked up than it did to tack it back together!

Gonna go finish the garage door opener and take a run around the 75 mile scenic loop of back roads and see what it does.