Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013 | 10:48 AM
HDV-GLIDE
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Apes

Someone else posted that if you think you need 10" apes, buy 12" apes. Need 12"'s buy 14"'s, etc.....

I mocked up my 10" LA Chopper Twin Peak black bars this morning and their doable but the 12" would have been better for more pull back and height.......

This may save others some aggravation......If they were $90 bars, I would trash'em and buy the 12"'s but at $186, I don't think so.....

Old 09-26-2013 | 10:58 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior

I'd agree with that. I've got 14" Wild 1's and would like to go to 16"...

Old 09-26-2013 | 11:03 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Good to know. I've been considering higher bars on my SG to possibly be more comfortable & less hand numbness on long rides. Will that help? In relation to your shoulder height, where are you guys finding the most comfortable height for your hands to be? And, did you change your bars for comfort or looks?

Old 09-26-2013 | 11:14 AM
stevemucha1
Tourer

When I first put my 14" bars on, I wished I had gone with 16's. After riding it for two years, I made the right decision. Shoulder high and very comfortable. I changed mine for comfort and would never go back. It would be the first mod I make to a new bike in the future.

Old 09-26-2013 | 11:16 AM
jqb12
Road Master
Default Apes

I personally like the 16 inch height with very little pullback. Know what your state law is concerning the height of handlebars. Do you want more or less stretch is also something to consider. 10-12 are not really "apes" in my opinion. If you're gonna "hang'em, then hang'em"!

Old 09-26-2013 | 11:18 AM
HDV-GLIDE
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Good to know. I've been considering higher bars on my SG to possibly be more comfortable & less hand numbness on long rides. Will that help? In relation to your shoulder height, where are you guys finding the most comfortable height for your hands to be? And, did you change your bars for comfort or looks?
I bought them for comfort (function). Right now my arms are fairly level with just a slight bend. I would have liked my arms to be a little higher and a little more bend. A lot better then stock or just the 2" pull back bars, that's for sure. That's with just a t-shirt on. I'm sure with a jacket on to push me forward a tad, it may be better.

Considering I dimpled the bars and made the wire(s) exit hole wider, I'm basically stuck with what I have unless I want to lose money. Of course, that work will save someone some time and aggravation....

Old 09-26-2013 | 11:20 AM
Punisher0822
Tourer

I thought I wanted 14's, so I went ahead and put 16's. I'm very glad I did. Being 6'2 they are very comfortable.

Old 09-26-2013 | 05:37 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
I'm a "form follows function" kinda guy, so I'm doing this very mod right now, as we speak, based upon the comfort factor.

In addition to the shape and size of the bars, I would also urge you to look for a neutral wrist position at the bar ends. Very important if you want to be comfortable.

Regarding fitment, I have read that the most ergonomic position, with your hands on the bars, is: elbows below your hands, and hands below your shoulders.

Old 09-26-2013 | 06:32 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member

For this simple reason, we measured 3 different times ....
And every time I closed my eyes and placed my hands to the "comfort spot."
Each time the measurement was 16".... I ordered 16" and am happy.

Each manufacturer have different measuring methods.....What some
manufacturer calls 16" could possibly measure 17" by your measuring stick !!

Attached Thumbnails Apes-img_0619-large-.jpg  
Old 09-26-2013 | 07:10 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
In addition to the shape and size of the bars, I would also urge you to look for a neutral wrist position at the bar ends. Very important if you want to be comfortable.
What do you mean by "neutral"?

Regarding fitment, I have read that the most ergonomic position, with your hands on the bars, is: elbows below your hands, and hands below your shoulders.
Yeah, right now my hands are slightly below my elbows and I find myself stretching out my arms completely in order to ride in an upright/comfortable position. I'm kinda tall and just got a Tallboy seat, floorboard extenders, extended pedals, etc. It sounds like changing the bars is all that's left to make it really fit me. I'm definitely gonna look into them.

I appreciate the info!

Quick Reply: Apes