Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013 | 02:44 PM
LokiBobber
Cruiser
Default State Law Handlebar Height?

Originally Posted by jqb12
I personally like the 16 inch height with very little pullback. Know what your state law is concerning the height of handlebars. Do you want more or less stretch is also something to consider. 10-12 are not really "apes" in my opinion. If you're gonna "hang'em, then hang'em"!
I never knew there were laws about handlebar height. Nebraska law states 15" above the fasten point. I found that here: http://www.bikernation.net/motorcyclelaws.htm

Old 09-27-2013 | 05:27 PM
anacoreta
Intermediate

I was thinking in wild ones 16", but now IŽll put 14"carlini gansters because they have less pullback and i read that their height is more than 14".

Old 09-27-2013 | 05:41 PM
wheelzk
Road Captain

14's and love em.

Old 09-27-2013 | 05:48 PM
Robbysride
Tourer

I went with 16s a couple years ago. I'm 6ft 1. I actually noticed a big difference in how my back felt. I don't have as much back pain as when I ran drag bars on an 8 inch or lower rise.

Old 09-27-2013 | 07:17 PM
RDGSG
Advanced

I had 14's on my last bike and really liked them but with as much cold riding that I do there is no way im bringing them up over my batwing now. Not knocking the touring bikes with apes, some are very sharp.

Old 09-28-2013 | 07:13 AM
HDV-GLIDE
|
Elite HDF Member

Just went out and sat on the bike again with the 10" bars attached, !2" bars would have been the ticket......for the elbows below hands and hands above shoulder position....

OK, I see the front brake line is plenty long with the zip tie cut to extend up another 2", I have a +4 clutch cable (should work, right?) and the SE TBW Extension. What about the wiring, think the stock length will work if the connectors are moved around in the fairing?

Since I only have the left side wired now, now's the time to make the change. I'm sure I can sell the 10" Black LA Chopper Bars and get most of my money back......

Old 09-28-2013 | 07:20 AM
HDV-GLIDE
|
Elite HDF Member

double post

Last edited by HDV-GLIDE; 09-28-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-28-2013 | 08:02 AM
HDV-GLIDE
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
You are absolutely correct, crimson13. Apart from height and pullback, bar width and wrist angle are the two biggest reasons for carefully selecting the right bar.

For reference purposes, I am a long-torso, 6'1" (and shrinking 'cause I'm getting old), with a 35-inch sleeve length and 30-inch pant length.

For me, the stock width was good and the stock wrist angle was good enough, but I definitely needed the bars higher and closer.

In my adventure for options, I found favor with the 12" H-D Mini Apes and the 12" Yaffe Classic Bagger Apes. Both of these bars are very close to stock width, but more importantly, the wrist angle on both of these bars is very neutral (translation: comfortable). Additionally, the grip angle on the bar ends allows for plenty of upward/downward adjustment in the bars without changing the grip angle!
I think I'm in your boat. I'm 5'9" but I too think I can't go wider then stock. Again, I went out and sat on my bike with the 10" Twin Peak bars attached and bike on jack. I tried turning the front end full tilt left & right and my arms were fully extended and pulling me forward. Not a good thing. Needless to say, the 36" width is too wide for me. Now I guess I have to start all over again.....It's a shame the HD bars don't come in gloss powder coat...

Old 09-28-2013 | 09:22 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Just went out and sat on the bike again with the 10" bars attached, 12" bars would have been the ticket.. for the elbows below hands and hands above shoulder position...
"the most ergonomic position, with your hands on the bars, is: elbows below your hands, and hands below your shoulders."

You DO NOT want your hands above your shoulders, HDV-GLIDE.

Old 09-28-2013 | 10:09 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
I'm 5'9" but I too think I can't go wider then stock. Again, I went out and sat on my bike with the 10" Twin Peak bars attached and bike on jack. I tried turning the front end full tilt left & right and my arms were fully extended and pulling me forward. Not a good thing. Needless to say, the 36" width is too wide for me. Now I guess I have to start all over again.....It's a shame the HD bars don't come in gloss powder coat...
You may not need to start over, HDV-GLIDE.

From what you have described, the bar width is not the issue; it's the pullback that is the issue. Pullback is influenced by bar height, so a taller bar will allow for more pullback.

Ape handlebars have a good range of rearward adjustment available, so the key is getting a bar that has enough height to gain the pullback you need, while still keeping your hands below your shoulders, but above your elbows.

Your stock bars are 31" wide. The Yaffe Classic Bagger Apes are 35.5" wide and the HD Batwing Mini-Ape's are 35" wide. The difference is about 2" on each side. Truth be told, I don't think you'd notice it AND I think you'd like it.

Oh, by the way, the Batwing Mini-Apes are available in Satin Black finish!

Quick Reply: Apes