Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013 | 07:16 PM
C908
Road Warrior

I'm 5'7 and installed 12.5 Wild Ones on my 2010 Ultra. While I do like them a lot if I was doing it over I would do 14's.

Old 09-27-2013 | 06:06 AM
glide2005
Supporter

Originally Posted by ybnorml
For this simple reason, we measured 3 different times ....
And every time I closed my eyes and placed my hands to the "comfort spot."
Each time the measurement was 16".... I ordered 16" and am happy.

Each manufacturer have different measuring methods.....What some
manufacturer calls 16" could possibly measure 17" by your measuring stick !!
Very true, about saying there bars are 16" but measure 17". I have HCC 14" bars on my Glide but they measure 16" and loveum.

Old 09-27-2013 | 08:43 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ybnorml
For this simple reason, we measured 3 different times ....
And every time I closed my eyes and placed my hands to the "comfort spot."
Each time the measurement was 16".... I ordered 16" and am happy.

Each manufacturer have different measuring methods.....What some
manufacturer calls 16" could possibly measure 17" by your measuring stick !!
EXCELLENT POINT, ybnorml. All manufacturers do not use the same methods of measurement! For example, Yaffe's 12" Classic Bagger Apes actually measure closer to 13.5"!

While it's good advice to try to find someone else who already has apes installed, it's more difficult to actually do it. For that reason, this forum has been a tremendous aide. Read the threads, study the posted photos, glean the facts, then make your decision.

If someone else is doing the work for you, then a handlebar swap can be a pricey proposition, so remember: Measure twice; cut once!

Old 09-27-2013 | 09:04 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member

While it's good advice to try to find someone else who already has apes installed, it's more difficult to actually do it. For that reason, this forum has been a tremendous aide. Read the threads, study the posted photos, glean the facts, then make your decision.
This is the best advice, I have tried 2 different types of bars already and going to change again. Third time is the charm. I am 5'8 ,started out with the WO577 12.5 apes they looked really good , but I felt they had to much pullback (11") and I didn't like the wrist angle either so I swapped them out for a set of HD batwing apes these are also nice bars ,but not enough pullback but the wrist angle is good . My next and final set will be 14 KST Mayhems More pull back than the HD bat wing and less than the Wild ones with a wrist angle in between. http://kstkustoms.com/products/1-14-mayhem-bagger. Close your eyes and get someone to measure where you put your hands like stated in an above post ,I wish I would have seen that way of measuring first.

Old 09-27-2013 | 09:14 AM
HDV-GLIDE
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by crimson13
This is the best advice, I have tried 2 different types of bars already and going to change again. Third time is the charm. I am 5'8 ,started out with the WO577 12.5 apes they looked really good , but I felt they had to much pullback (11") and I didn't like the wrist angle either so I swapped them out for a set of HD batwing apes these are also nice bars ,but not enough pullback but the wrist angle is good . My next and final set will be 14 KST Mayhems More pull back than the HD bat wing and less than the Wild ones with a wrist angle in between. http://kstkustoms.com/products/1-14-mayhem-bagger. Close your eyes and get someone to measure where you put your hands like stated in an above post ,I wish I would have seen that way of measuring first.
38" wide....WOW
Your right about the measuring part......If I had about 1-2" more pull back on the LA Chopper bars, I would be set because the wrist angle is good.....

Old 09-27-2013 | 09:32 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
38" wide....WOW
Your right about the measuring part......If I had about 1-2" more pull back on the LA Chopper bars, I would be set because the wrist angle is good.....

I thought the 38 inches sounded wide to, the wild ones were 36.5 with a 40* wrist angle and 11 inches of pullback to where the Mayhems only have 5.5 inches of PB. Sounds like the width has a lot to do with the wrist angle and the pull back I could be wrong.
A forum member sent me some pics of the Mayhem bars on his bike and some with him on the bike they look comfortable and he swears by them that all I got to go by to is pics and opinions lol !!

Last edited by crimson13; 09-27-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-27-2013 | 09:59 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member

I have the 12.5 chubbys.
I wanted that height and I'm happy with it.
I'm 5'11, But I also have the 3" frame drop kit also.

Old 09-27-2013 | 10:31 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by crimson13
Sounds like the width has a lot to do with the wrist angle and the pull back I could be wrong.
You are absolutely correct, crimson13. Apart from height and pullback, bar width and wrist angle are the two biggest reasons for carefully selecting the right bar.

For reference purposes, I am a long-torso, 6'1" (and shrinking 'cause I'm getting old), with a 35-inch sleeve length and 30-inch inseam.

For me, the stock width was good and the stock wrist angle was good enough, but I definitely needed the bars higher and closer.

In my adventure for options, I found favor with the 12" H-D Mini Apes and the 12" Yaffe Classic Bagger Apes. Both of these bars are very close to stock width, but more importantly, the wrist angle on both of these bars is very neutral (translation: comfortable). Additionally, the grip angle on the bar ends allows for plenty of upward/downward adjustment in the bars without changing the grip angle!

Last edited by FenderGuy53; 09-30-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2013 | 01:11 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Someone else posted that if you think you need 10" apes, buy 12" apes. Need 12"'s buy 14"'s, etc.....

I mocked up my 10" LA Chopper Twin Peak black bars this morning and their doable but the 12" would have been better for more pull back and height.......

This may save others some aggravation......If they were $90 bars, I would trash'em and buy the 12"'s but at $186, I don't think so.....
It's true, I was thinking 12s and went 14s and I was right...that statement is very true. I'm 5-8" and the bars are shoulder height.

Old 09-27-2013 | 02:21 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

I bought 10" wild ones mini apes, sure wish now that I went with 14's..
I cheaped out because i didn't want to replace all the cables.
The bars cost me $199, and about $5 worth of wire, I was on the road,
but now I want to change them..
Tip for anyone going with new bars, especially 10's or 12's.
When you extend your wires, put an extra 4-6 inches in there for
"future expansion". I didn't do that, and now will have to redo the wiring all
over again.. DOH!!

Quick Reply: Apes