Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire stem extender

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 AM
ECK Road King Classic
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire stem extender

For those of you that have a Road King Classic with the spoked wheels, you know how inconvenient it is to check the rear tire pressure. I found a two inch valve stem elbow that extends it out a little to make it easier. It weighs 25 grams. If I left it on the rear wheel does anyone think it is heavy enough to affect the wheel's balance or throw it out of balance. Your thoughts? It's a bitch to check and I like to check them weekly. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Tire stem extender-tire-stem.jpg  
Old 09-25-2013, 10:43 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

the other drawback is the possibility of road debris whacking it off--- very unlikely.

next time you do a tire, get them to install a 45º stem

if you do a nitrogen fill on your tires, pressures will be more constant, and the tires will not leak down as much over time

mike

Old 09-25-2013, 10:56 AM
ECK Road King Classic
Novice

These are tubed tires. That is a good idea but would it necessitate a different tube made for that angle?

Old 09-25-2013, 11:31 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I think if you turned it to where the stem is pointing opposite way of wheel travel there would be less chance of getting hit by debris. Don't believe 25 grams will make much difference in ride quality.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by ECK Road King Classic
These are tubed tires. That is a good idea but would it necessitate a different tube made for that angle?
duh, sorry. spokes/tubes...I get it.

Mike

Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every change of pavement producing an impact on the wheel will make the valve extender move / flex out of its 'dynamic' rest position. The faster the wheel turns, the greater the effort at the base of the valve. I would opt for the lightest extender available, even if its plastic.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I used one on my rear wheel and the rubber part of the valve stem split! There is also a risk that it may hit your brake caliper. Personally I wouldn't leave it on. Also consider what 25 grammes of wheel balance weights looks like - that is an ounce, by the way.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 PM
ECK Road King Classic
Novice

Thanks. I wont be leaving it on then. Expat1 and grbrown make a lot of sense, especially at higher speeds. I will just keep them handy for when I need them.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I broke down and bought one of them Harley braided line valve stem extenders for 9 bucks at the dealership and just carry it around in my saddle bag. Well worth the lessened frustration when it comes to putting air in my tires... you think the factory spokes are a bitch, get yourself a 21 inch fat spoke and try to get an air chuck on the valve stem. Enough to make ya wanna punch a puppy.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:51 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by ECK Road King Classic
Thanks. I wont be leaving it on then. Expat1 and grbrown make a lot of sense, especially at higher speeds. I will just keep them handy for when I need them.
The split valve stem I mentioned happened in rural France on a Saturday evening. No way of getting going again and no support to be had within 60 miles, until Tuesday morning! My longest breakdown ever! Fortunately Coucy-le-Château-Auffrique is an interesting place to get stuck!

Quick Reply: Tire stem extender