Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone run Jackpot 4.5 touring mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rsarno
Is there a difference between a stock header de-catted, vs anything else like a V&H header, or any other one? Hopefully thats not a dumb question lol
Not a dumb question at all, rsarno.

The main functional difference, among the many choices in headers, is the configuration. Most touring headers are a 2-into-1, a 2-into-1-into-2 (our stock setup), or a 2-into-2 (true dual) configuration.

Within each configuration, a header can be further engineered to control and direct the exhaust flow from the header to the muffler(s), to enhance its performance.

There ARE performance differences among the various configurations, simply due to the nature of the design; but those differences are quite subtle, and would be very transparent to the average rider.

IMHO, most folks purchase aftermarket headers for two basic reasons: 1) to eliminate the catalytic converter, and 2) to change the look. To a lesser degree, the change is made for "sound".

In my case, I wanted to retain the original 2-1-2 configuration (MoCo spends millions of dollars in R&D, so I trust the stock design), but eliminate the blockage, thus the heat, caused by the catalytic converter.

Hope I answered your question.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 AM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
Not a dumb question at all, rsarno.

The main functional difference, among the many choices in headers, is the configuration. Most touring headers are a 2-into-1, a 2-into-1-into-2 (our stock setup), or a 2-into-2 (true dual) configuration.

Within each configuration, a header can be further engineered to control and direct the exhaust flow from the header to the muffler(s), to enhance its performance.

There ARE performance differences among the various configurations, simply due to the nature of the design; but those differences are quite subtle, and would be very transparent to the average rider.

IMHO, most folks purchase aftermarket headers for two basic reasons: 1) to eliminate the catalytic converter, and 2) to change the look. To a lesser degree, the change is made for "sound".

In my case, I wanted to retain the original 2-1-2 configuration (MoCo spends millions of dollars in R&D, so I trust the stock design), but eliminate the blockage, thus the heat, caused by the catalytic converter.

Hope I answered your question.
Excellent! Thank you SO much for explaining that.

I really have no need for more performance, and actually love the current 2/2 configuration. I would only do the header in order to reduce heat, and improve sound.

You just saved me a ton of money! Thanks again ... looks like a stock decatted pipe is all i need.

BTW is there a trick to looking on CL? I cant seem to type in anything that will result in pipes lol

Old 09-27-2013, 10:38 AM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rsarno
Excellent! Thank you SO much for explaining that.

I really have no need for more performance, and actually love the current 2/2 configuration. I would only do the header in order to reduce heat, and improve sound.

You just saved me a ton of money! Thanks again ... looks like a stock decatted pipe is all i need.

BTW is there a trick to looking on CL? I cant seem to type in anything that will result in pipes lol
Don't use Craigslist. Use Ebay.

The Ebay Seller I used was bobvic2. He has 100% positive feedback and tons of good references for his header mods. While he currently does not have a listing for a 2-into-2 header (which is what you need), keep checking. He makes and sells these headers all the time.

I prefer bobvic2's technique. He cuts a rectangular opening in the collector, removes the cat, polishes the innards, then welds the cut piece back in place. He does a nice welding job, too. $135, shipped. Great deal.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't use Craigslist. Use Ebay.

The Ebay Seller I used was bobvic2. He has 100% positive feedback and tons of good references for his header mods. While he currently does not have a listing for a 2-into-2 header (which is what you need), keep checking. He makes and sells these headers all the time.

I prefer bobvic2's technique. He cuts a rectangular opening in the collector, removes the cat, polishes the innards, then welds the cut piece back in place. He does a nice welding job, too. $135, shipped. Great deal.
Here's another Ebay guy: countrysidedave

Last edited by FenderGuy53; 09-27-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:18 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's another Ebay guy: Cat-less Header
This guy uses a different technique, but also has a 100% Ebay feedback rating: hdheaders

Old 09-27-2013, 11:42 AM
rsarno
Road Master

Excellent!

Old 09-27-2013, 11:48 AM
rsarno
Road Master

Just a followup question .. i know the fitment is the same, but is the Header the exact same part number on my 14, as prev years?

If they (HD) made any changes for whatever reason, id rather just have my own pipe modified. I think i saw a few companies that do it for you for a decent price.

Thanks

Old 09-27-2013, 11:57 AM
rsarno
Road Master

And is it common that people change the header without adding a heavy breathing intake, and map

If it will be something i'll regret, i better wait until I have the cash for the full stageI to be completed properly

Old 09-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the Jackpot Pro-Touring muffs. Love'em.

Quick Reply: Anyone run Jackpot 4.5 touring mufflers?