Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 04:50 PM
joshdnp
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering

I am statrting to look around for an enclosed trailer in order to tow two bikes(07 Street Glide and 05 Ultra Classic) from Maine to Sturgis, behind a RV. I am not sure on whether a Single or Double axle wouldmake more senseor if I should put the bikes side by side or stagger them.

The max towing capacity is 3500 lbsfor the RV so I am limited on trailer size.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:01 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Trailering

The only decent closed trailers that will haul them would be dual axel. Hallmark makes a nice one called harley hauler.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:04 PM
joshdnp
6th Gear

That is what my initial thoughts were. I am looking for a used trailer in the New England area, if anyone knows of one let me know.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok this is a $.02 lesson but hopefully it'll help. An all aluminum trailer will weigh less than a steel frame trailer. Tandem is going to be a better ride and less apt to jacknife backing up with a Motorhome than a single axle. To trailer 2 touring bikes side by side you'll want a 7' wide trailer. If you get a "V" nosed model go all aluminum as the steel frame ones are usually to tongue heavy. ( you only have 350lbs limit on a 3500 tow rating) If you choose a flat front be sure there is enough tongue between box and MH so they dont hit while turning up a hill. Try to find the best construction over the best looking. It is a storage box and checkaboardor carpet may hide substandard flooring. Diamond plate, vinyl, e trac are all nice but quickly add to the budget. You can always paint the walls and floor. Spare tire (or2) and if possible hub assembly if your towing cross country mounted inside the curbside door is very practical. Having a spare in a trap door requiring movingout the bikes will suck on the side of the road.Brakes are required by some states even though the MH could stop the load. Decorating with big H-D decals is an invitation to come steal what is inside. Ramp doors are much easier than ramps but add $ 100+ to a trailer. All trailers stain but it shows the most on white. There are some good and some junk and at first glance they all look the same. Take your time ask questions you be happier in the end. Good Luck

Old 03-08-2007, 05:28 PM
choochoo
Banned

I got a better idea ride the bikes there.
You did BUY THE BIKES TO RIDE DIDN"T YOU?
Doesn't really take any longer.
The money you save on fuel will more than pay for a motel room.
Plus you will enjoy the overall trip more, than sitting in your living room
the whole trip.
too MUCH baggage??
1. cut back OR:
2. a SMALL and I mean small trailer behind one bike OR:
3. ship baggage by bus or UPS to Sturgis If staying in hotel make arrangements for them to be delivered to hotel. (I usually ship clothes I'm willing to turn into rags, leave them there and ship the new stuff back)

If you're worried about rain, hey it's just part of the experience, riding through it or laying over under a overpass, or a gas station etc.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:51 PM
joshdnp
6th Gear

Nobody special, thanks for the information I will take my time and take your advice on trailer specs.

ChooChoo, I would love to ride the bikes there however I am traveling with my father, mother, and my wife. I am pretty sure my father would go for it, but the other two wouldn't have any part of it.

Maybe next trip.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:08 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Whatever kind of trailer you get, get a V nose. It will pull a lot easier behind most other vehicles. and electric brakes on a tandem axle. I love my E track fastening system. I,ve noticed that most farm supplys, cary the e track straps,hooks and track. It,s almost like a build it yourself, shelf storage system at lowes. LOL Dan

Old 03-08-2007, 06:33 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V-nose is a waste of money behind a motorhome, and rera in used trailers.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

V-nose is a waste of money behind a motorhome, and rera in used trailers.
Actually it can be beneficial in keeping the contact between box and motorhome when making a tight uphill turn. I have seen trailers make contact with MH and it wasn't pretty. It dosen't matter as a wind cutter. A trailer dealer advised against oe if it was a steel frame model as they were tongue heavy. Check out Renegade, by Rance, Thule Cargo Pro. These are premium priced all aluminum "V" nosed. On the straight fronts steel frame, Wells Cargo, Haulmark, Pace are all good. Or the well overpriced Featherlite.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Ripp
Advanced

I just bought a 12 X 7 all aluminum V nose trailer by R&R. It is a tandem axel with electric brakes weight is 1,700 lbs.
at 7 ft wide you will have to stager the bikes 12 to 15 inchs. so you will need a 12 ft long trailer.
www.rnrtrailers.com

Ripp

Quick Reply: Trailering