Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did your compensator sound like when it went bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:29 AM
Hawgndaroad
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SB09UC
When I would hit the starter it sounded like a hammer hitting something solid. At shutdown it would kinda clunk. Hot starts would kick back any require a second try. When taking off it would knock.

That's exactly how mine sounded. Only a couple times at start-up, then if I lug it real low, like entering an uphill driveway real slow, that's when it really wakes you up.
Compensator,huh? Good to know. Still have 5 years left on warranty.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak
When your compensator starts going bad, harder to find neutral, disengaging the clutch is more abrupt, clunks when shifting are louder etc.
I think you just need to re-adjust your clutch.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,262 Likes on 4,437 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
There has only been one part number for the last couple of years so if you ordered a replacement, everybody got the one "previously known as Screaming Eagle compensator kit". Interestingly enough, because there have been any number of those units going south as well, the compensator assembly appears to have once again been redesigned in 2010 by the crack team of engineers at the MOCO for the 2014 model year.

Lack of lubrication has been suggested as the reason for failures for years. I don't have a degree in mechanical engineering but that has always looked like a big possibility to me.

I have read where they are going to be putting out a retro kit for earlier model years which will be made available sometime in the future (presumably in the next decade or two).

Didn't quite take a decade.....

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...in-compensator

Old 09-27-2013, 10:58 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHR09
Plus 1 - Be sure you ask for the screamin' eagle replacement.
The non SE comp has been dis continued for over a year now. There are 2 versions of the SE. The pre 2014 and the 2014 model. Definitely get the 2014 model. Its $100 more but worth it.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like another reason to get a 14 SG if I can.....

Old 09-27-2013, 12:09 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk
Sounds like another reason to get a 14 SG if I can.....
I hope that was sarcasm. It's much cheaper to drop $400 on a part than to buy a new bike. Especially a first year bike with unknown problems.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:13 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
I think you just need to re-adjust your clutch.
Nope, it was the compensator. Put in the SE Compensator and smooth as silk now.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:21 PM
WB
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

What did your compensator sound like when it went bad?

Which time!!!!!! Seem to go bad about every 4 months. I just learned to live with the first gear rattle.....

Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 PM
UltraZac
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 52 Posts

Got the bike back today. Dealer replaced the compensator with the 2014 version (under warranty). First thing I noticed it shifts allot smoother with way less clunk when going from neutral to first. When I left the dealer there was absolutely no clunk form neutral to first. After a short ride I played around and could get it to clunk but had to really play with the clutch to make it happen. Still way quieter than it was when new.

New compensator = smoother shifting, less noise from primary, no loud rattling noise on start up and didn't cost a dime. Says something about warranty. Will see how many miles this one lasts.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:57 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Comp

Originally Posted by UltraZac
I'm getting a bad knocking sound (it's loud) when I start my bike lately. Seems to be coming from the primary area. It will change with rpm until the motor warms up. It only makes the sound when it's cold. If I put my hand on the right side I can feel the vibration right through the bottom end of the motor. I can still hear it after the motor warms up but not as bad as a cold start.

Anyone that had their compensator go bad, what did it sound like? Getting ready to take it to dealer for warranty.
2012 had a screaming eagle comp. The answers you get from the pre 2011's don't apply to you.
I'm not sure whats going on with yours, but when a SE comp goes bad, you will hear it as you are pulling a load. Going up a hill double and at certain RPM's you will hear it. It is very load sensitive and just keeps getting worse.

Quick Reply: What did your compensator sound like when it went bad?