Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We are back to the days of deposit required

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013 | 06:39 AM
Garemlin
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default We are back to the days of deposit required

Never thought we would see these days again. And I am sure this varies depending on your location. But my local dealer said they are selling the '14 bikes quicker than they can get them in. In fact every one they currently have on order already has a deposit on it. I'm sure they could dealer locate one if someone had cash in hand right now. But these things are selling. Once the newness wears off it will prolly settle down some. But for the moment this is great for the newer model used market which I am currently back in

Old 09-21-2013 | 06:42 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Yes, it depends heavily on location. That's not happening everywhere.

Old 09-21-2013 | 06:48 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

This effects trade in values as well. It will take some time for the dust to settler and the market to level out. To many unknown variables yet, with some of the issues reported on the new ones, etc.....
I love my 2012 and won't part with it.
I am not ready to put mine under the knife yet, but the after market world offers some jammin components if a person has the imagination to build one the MoCo couldn't dream of.

Old 09-21-2013 | 07:12 AM
valvestem
Road Captain

If a dealer of any kind asked me for a deposit, I would quietly turn around and walk out. These people are creating their own hype to sell their products, and sadly people play right into it. It isn't just HD's, it's everything nowadays. Things are not sold on their merit, but by the hype generated.

Old 09-21-2013 | 07:24 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

2014 Limiteds are stacked like cord wood at Chunky River HD in MS. You wait till more word gets out about the problems they're having and they'll be discounting them; not asking for a deposit.

Old 09-21-2013 | 07:27 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Thumbs up Im with you!!!!! Great Time....

Originally Posted by Garemlin
But for the moment this is great for the newer model used market which I am currently back in
Yes im with you here...Im considering selling my 04...Love the bike and i realise that its price has dropped but with some incredible deals on some great,low mile newer used models (some with warrentys) i think i might have to join in....
Good Luck With Your Search....
Tim... :-)

Old 09-21-2013 | 07:40 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by VTL nut
This effects trade in values as well. It will take some time for the dust to settler and the market to level out. To many unknown variables yet, with some of the issues reported on the new ones, etc.....
I love my 2012 and won't part with it.
I am not ready to put mine under the knife yet, but the after market world offers some jammin components if a person has the imagination to build one the MoCo couldn't dream of.
i agree with you,buy something new again and then have to spend money on making it run right and cooler, change out the tensionor again.i wouldn't even think about a new one again until they use different wheel bearings and get some other issues resolved. maybe some quality control. they are still sending new bikes out with problems and letting the consumers do the testing for them. HD wants to keep their new bikes a secret, why don't the dealer techs have the training to repair the new bikes BEFORE they come out,*** backwards as always.

Old 09-21-2013 | 07:43 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

I don't see the deposit as an issue. Put the deposit down and be guaranteed the bike when it comes in weeks/months later.....or walk away and go find one elsewhere. I tell you this...my buddy wants that '14 Pearl SG and he just drove all the way to Asheville to get it. He had it in hand in Greensboro and Winston Salem and refused to put down the deposit...bike was sold in days. He had one elsewhere in NC that was coming in and he refused to put deposit down and bike was sold the day it came in. I put a deposit down on mine because I wasn't sure whether I wanted the SG or RG....they didn't force me to do it, it was an option....and I took the option. If I changed my mind, I'd get the money back.

Dealers aren't forcing people....people are choosing to guarantee themselves a bike because the demand is so high. I did the same thing with my MB....I put a deposit on it as it was on a ship coming from Germany and I didn't want it sold to someone else. My deposit guaranteed it was mine. Deposits are okay!

Last edited by sfcmo357; 09-21-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-21-2013 | 07:44 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior

I can't swing one right now but then again this isn't about ME. It's about a company enjoying some success. And it's about the economy showing a sign of improvement, even if it's not the case everywhere yet.
To that I say GOOD JOB HARLEY-DAVIDSON!

Old 09-21-2013 | 07:44 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by valvestem
If a dealer of any kind asked me for a deposit, I would quietly turn around and walk out. These people are creating their own hype to sell their products, and sadly people play right into it. It isn't just HD's, it's everything nowadays. Things are not sold on their merit, but by the hype generated.

Money talks, pay a deposit and you get to wait in line for the bike to arrive. Dont pay and wait even longer.

Quick Reply: We are back to the days of deposit required