Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Premium shocks VS Progressive 944

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 10:18 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

An option I have not yet heard mentioned is the Progressive 444. Its an updated 440, and is well under 500 delivered to your door. I have run 440s on a number of my motorcycles and always thought they were an excellent upgrade for the money. Super easy to adjust, and smooth as can be, with or without the wife. I just saw a number of sets on ebay for $479 delivered. They come with a lifetime warranty as well.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:42 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by clbking
I had the HD premium ride on my RK. They were a bit too stiff for me. I played with the adjustment but could not get the right setting. Better ride than the stock air shocks and I chose the 1" lower model. Its great in the twisties though. Wondering about those who are using the Progressives. How are they in comfort?
My 2010 FLHXSE came with the premium shocks. Way to stiff for me on the lowest setting. Put on the 944's and they are great with a wide range of adjustment for when I'm two up (not often) or when I have a large sissy bar bag for trips. I like the ride and the handling is as good or better. The 13 inch sit one inch lower than a Harley 13 so keep that in mind.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:48 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,293 Likes on 1,858 Posts

I have a '13 CVO Ultra and I too was surprised that I need to spend more $'s to make my bike ride like a luxury touring bike.
I'm over 6' and weigh somewhere near 230 and I've tried adjusting my stock shocks from 10# up to 25" (as the manual suggests) and I still have a firm, hard ride.
On smooth roads this isn't much of a problem but on those bump, rough roads those sharp jolts go right up my back.
My bike now has over 7,000 miles on it so I'm sure the shocks are broken in.

If I'm going to replace the shocks, and I have to spend $ 400+ another
$ 100 or so wouldn't hurt much more but I want to be sure I get a shock that provides a softer ride, so from what I've read so far it looks like it will either be the H-D Premiums or the Progressive 944's.

Thoughts?

Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 AM
tlar1540
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the CVO bikes came standard with the HD premium shocks???

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I have a '13 CVO Ultra and I too was surprised that I need to spend more $'s to make my bike ride like a luxury touring bike.
I'm over 6' and weigh somewhere near 230 and I've tried adjusting my stock shocks from 10# up to 25" (as the manual suggests) and I still have a firm, hard ride.
On smooth roads this isn't much of a problem but on those bump, rough roads those sharp jolts go right up my back.
My bike now has over 7,000 miles on it so I'm sure the shocks are broken in.

If I'm going to replace the shocks, and I have to spend $ 400+ another
$ 100 or so wouldn't hurt much more but I want to be sure I get a shock that provides a softer ride, so from what I've read so far it looks like it will either be the H-D Premiums or the Progressive 944's.

Thoughts?

Old 04-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Uffda
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Making a decision on suspenstion too and, with all the Howard-busting going on, I decided I'd better call him myself. He answered my call well after normal business hours, politely answered my questions not with a 'yes or no', but with comparisons about the different effects based on the technologies of the products being questioned. He tried to related it this to my expectations of the product and the cost of the benefit of one over the other. Did not try to give me a hard sell on any product, not even his own. Little tolerance to stupid questions, but freely explained why it was a silly question. Was a real azzhole, but then again I kind of like that in a man....

Old 04-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

A little out of the box thinking for those who are mostly interested in ride comfort, and are satisfied with the stock handling.

I was in the market for some aftermarket shocks for my 12 Street Glide. Before ordering the shocks I put on a Hammock seat. Now have no interest in better shocks. The seat did the job. Do not feel the bottoming out, and no longer get those sharp jolts up my back. Ride for my self and passenger is now fine, with the stock shocks.

I used to cringe when ever I saw that I was going to hit a pot hole, but no longer. Much more relaxing ride.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:50 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tlar1540
I thought the CVO bikes came standard with the HD premium shocks???
Not that I'm aware of.
My bike has air shocks and the H-D Premium's are not.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:53 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
A little out of the box thinking for those who are mostly interested in ride comfort, and are satisfied with the stock handling.

I was in the market for some aftermarket shocks for my 12 Street Glide. Before ordering the shocks I put on a Hammock seat. Now have no interest in better shocks. The seat did the job. Do not feel the bottoming out, and no longer get those sharp jolts up my back. Ride for my self and passenger is now fine, with the stock shocks.

I used to cringe when ever I saw that I was going to hit a pot hole, but no longer. Much more relaxing ride.
My bike came with the Hammock seat.
It's not that my bike is "bottoming out".
It's just that the shocks don't seem to "absorb" the sharp jolts very well regardless of what psi I have in my shocks.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:17 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before I shelled out money for shocks. I replaced the shock oil with 15 wt fork oil. Now I see no need in replacing the shocks.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:30 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 204 Posts

Well if anyone is interested of have a set of HD Premiums sitting in my garage. The previous owner had them on the Limited. I took them off when I bought it with 6,300 miles. I took the progressives off of my old bike.

Quick Reply: Harley Premium shocks VS Progressive 944