Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Premium shocks VS Progressive 944

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 12:30 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
I can't blame anyone hesitant to fork over a grand to Dick Head Howard.
The OP should be able to improve his ride within his price range.
I would forget the above "Please", and just do what you want to do.
May check out deals on a barely used set of your choice...
do tell your dick head story.
good suggestion on the used HD & 944 as there always seems to be one available. just searched and could not find a JRI 13B used for sale, or an Ohlin 3-3. But yes each to their own decision.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:34 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
do tell your dick head story.
good suggestion on the used HD & 944 as there always seems to be one available. just searched and could not find a JRI 13B used for sale, or an Ohlin 3-3. But yes each to their own decision.
Call Howard, He will be one first hand for you.
"Examples daily".

Old 09-19-2013, 12:47 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
Call Howard, He will be one first hand for you.
"Examples daily".
well I did several times talk to Howard and have installed the JRI 13B and can say that he is not a dick head. Also I would email him a question and he would call me with the answer. I call that excellent service. your experience may vary of course should you catch him right after some ******* not you of course) just finished talking to him.
anyway as I said compare your options before making a decision and do not limit solely on price as others have only to keep buying the same item over and over until the right one is found. any item up for resale after trying suggests to me that it is not the best. I like to buy once.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:04 PM
tlar1540
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad to finally see some input on the HD Premiums, thanks for that... I know that I can get a set of premiums through Kutter HD for $414 shipped and the cheapest I've seen the 944's is for $539 through Amazon.. Still not sure which way to go but I know I don't want to spend $1K on a set of shocks..

BTW, who is Howard & why such a huge difference in opinions about him?

Thanks again for the replies so far...

Old 09-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Google suspension technologies. They are $500 shocks but I don't really know anything about them. The CV O forum seems to like them. Howard is the guy who sells Olins and the jri shocks And by all accounts he is a real character. One reason I don't go that way is I do not want a long phone call I do not want to hold hands with him when I put them on etc. but that's me.

Last edited by Sam2010; 09-19-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:16 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage39.html
If you read posts you will find a handfull of haters and dozens of satisfied customers. But I am not going to debate his personality. get the best shock you can afford, but do not call them $1000 shocks until you get a quote from Howard as a forum member.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Denver Dave
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

any item up for resale after trying suggests to me that it is not the best. I like to buy once.
That may be the case, or, as I have seen many others do, when they sell their bikes, they strip off the premium aftermarket items and sell those separately. But, back to the OP: I cannot speak to any shocks except the HD premiums: for the money, they were an incredible upgrade for me and my back/***.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:00 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,849 Likes on 1,601 Posts

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage39.html
If you read posts you will find a handfull of haters and dozens of satisfied customers. But I am not going to debate his personality. get the best shock you can afford, but do not call them $1000 shocks until you get a quote from Howard as a forum member.
I actually like the guy - he contributes here daily and is full of knowledge. However... he's been wrong about a few little minor facts here and there and that was enough for me to not use him. That and I don't believe in purchasing exotic hand build solutions for low tech problems. All due resepect to Howard.

lp

Old 09-19-2013, 02:23 PM
TMOUT
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

HD Premiums made a HUGE difference. Ride is 100% better alone or two up.
No figuring out "What I needed", just out of the box, 10 minute install, adjust the dial, ride, adjust if necessary, done. They come with a table of settings for with & without the tourpak that you select from according to the weight of riders/gear on the bike. Couldn't be any easier, and best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:39 PM
tlar1540
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the review, there must be more people with the HD premiums than the 944's.

On a side note, have you guys upgraded the front as well or are you still running the stock fork springs? I was thinking of doing that upgrade this winter but again am torn between the HD ones and the Progressive Monotube fork kit...

Originally Posted by TMOUT
HD Premiums made a HUGE difference. Ride is 100% better alone or two up.
No figuring out "What I needed", just out of the box, 10 minute install, adjust the dial, ride, adjust if necessary, done. They come with a table of settings for with & without the tourpak that you select from according to the weight of riders/gear on the bike. Couldn't be any easier, and best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Harley Premium shocks VS Progressive 944