Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I wanted a 14, but staying with my 09

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 01:43 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why I wanted a 14, but staying with my 09

Update: I am posting pics of an upgrade consisting of CCE upper triple trees and Progressive monotube shocks front and rear. The promise of the 14's handling "tighter" with those new 49mm forks almost put me over the edge. I have a 09 Ultra with plenty of upgrades, 103 kit, ipod module, chrome all over the place, removable tour pak, lots of time and money spent. I can't see a 12 grand difference.

So what I don't like about the 09 is that little bit of front end wiggle. So my plan is to make mods that seem to work. Progressive cartridges for the front along with the cce upper triple, rear 944 shocks. These pieces will cost me about $1600 and I enjoy doing the work myself. Maybe a little bit taller bars at the same time and a hydraulic clutch. Just more $$$

So I have the parts on order, but in the meantime has anyone else done this combination of mods? If so what was the result?

Last edited by FLYER; 10-11-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:49 PM
cycle crazy
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYER
The promise of the 14's handling "tighter" with those new 49mm forks almost put me over the edge. I have a 09 Ultra with plenty of upgrades, 103 kit, ipod module, chrome all over the place, removable tour pak, lots of time and money spent. I can't see a 12 grand difference.

So what I don't like about the 09 is that little bit of front end wiggle. So my plan is to make mods that seem to work. Progressive cartridges for the front along with the cce upper triple, rear 944 shocks. These pieces will cost me about $1600 and I enjoy doing the work myself. Maybe a little bit taller bars at the same time and a hydraulic clutch. Just more $$$

So I have the parts on order, but in the meantime has anyone else done this combination of mods? If so what was the result?
Have an 09 SG and did the 944 ultra shocks...haven't pulled the trigger for the front end stuff as yet...waiting to see what the results are...

Old 09-17-2013, 03:08 PM
FLYER
Road Master

Were the 944's everything you hoped for?

Old 09-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think they all wiggle a bit. Mine did and I just changed to a bit heavier fork oil and it's much less now...handles great on fast sweepers.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:14 PM
FLYER
Road Master

I changed to the SE oil myself. Just looking for something tighter, its not unsafe. I guess I am just being a little type A.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just curious why people ask about mods they choose after they order them?

Old 09-17-2013, 06:59 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 325 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYER
Were the 944's everything you hoped for?
I'd like to know also. I'm trying to decide between the 944's or the HD Premium Ride Hand-adjustable standard height shocks.

Trending Topics

Old 09-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm keepin' my '07. Slightly taller (Wide Glide) bars, a chrome front end kit (with an extra ounce of oil in each leg), & a hydraulic clutch. The bars make it comfortable. The extra oil in the front end stops the dive when brakin', & makes it ride good. The hydraulic clutch eliminates adjusting, lubing the cable, & all clutch maintenance other than bleedin' every other year. Works for me, YMMV..........

Old 09-17-2013, 07:16 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sanman4ever
I'd like to know also. I'm trying to decide between the 944's or the HD Premium Ride Hand-adjustable standard height shocks.
The HD's make it a different handling machine. The *** end settles right down and EVERYTHING is felt in (almost feels like transferred to) the front.

Huge difference in the back, so now the front needs addressing. A great dealer install when it heads for storage this winter, along with the chrome front end will be an upgrade from the MoCo.
Someone mentioned in a post they did the CVO rears along with whatever the MoCo offers for the front, and it was a huge difference. If the front responds anything like the rear to the change, it is money very wisely spent.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:43 AM
FLYER
Road Master

Originally Posted by rooti
I'm just curious why people ask about mods they choose after they order them?
Ha ha, good question. I have spent hours reading and running the search feature and there is not a lot about these issues. So I ordered the parts, but my real commitment is when I install them, otherwise the parts can be returned with a small fee.

Everything I come up with tells me I will like what I'm going to do, but you know what, "it never hurts to ask!"

Quick Reply: Why I wanted a 14, but staying with my 09