Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I wanted a 14, but staying with my 09

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:55 AM
digz`
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
I think they all wiggle a bit. Mine did and I just changed to a bit heavier fork oil and it's much less now...handles great on fast sweepers.
My 09 had a wiggle too and i re-torqued the steering nut to the max on the spec sheet and it went totally away

Old 06-30-2014, 02:17 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVENRINO
From his sig it looks like the update is buying a 2014, afterall.
Caught me! LOL. So here is the update. I was able to finangle a 14 model without having to sell my 09. The reason I wanted to keep my 09 is I want to have a shark and this 09 Ultra is a great conversion candidate. I am building a 120 torque engine for it.

The update. I was very happy with the CCE triple and the mods I made to the 09. It truly does ride and handle equal to the 2014 limited, however for the day to day usefulness of a main ride Harley did a nice job on the Rushmore's.

Comparisons and observations.

Handling - With the CCE triple very comparable. I did put the progressives in the 09 and it was a little stiffer suspension. I actually like the stock 14 suspension. So driving and handling wise, they are equal machines.

Safety - The dual front and rear ABS brakes, definitely another step in the right direction. The 09 has ABS and I've used it before when a large mule deer jumped out in front of me in northern Nevada. The noise that ABS made scared the heck out of the deer and he jumped out of the way.

Engine - My 09 has a Screamin Eagle 103 big bore kit, 255 cams and a SE tune and runs very nicely. The stock 103 Wet Head in the Limited runs equally as well. I think the 14 is a little smoother. Those new cams and the tune from the factory are very nice.

Radio system - The stock 09 radio works quite well for the AM FM CB. Both radios have some quirks - the 09 radio has a weird throttle related static in the intercom system that is a mystery to everyone. The 14 radio is an ongoing experiment with Harley but software upgrades keep improving it. The new radio system with the GPS and Bluetooth is awesome. Receiving a quick call from the wife with a "be home soon" type call is very handy. Pushing a button and saying "call wife" and it all works is as simple as talking on the CB. The CB and phone I use minimally for essential communications only. The fingertip controls and handsfree voice commands are great also. The GPS is nice and being able to plan a route and program it in is a great feature also. The radio is probably the biggest difference I know of between a Rushmore and a "modified" pre bike.

Incidentals. Comfort- both bikes have heated hammock seats, an absolute must. I really like the heated grips on the Rushmore, but that could be added to a pre bike. The mailslot isn't as big a deal as a good shield, I have LRS on both bikes with similar good results. The 14 bag handles are ok but not that big of a deal. What I have noticed is that the 14 bag twist locks are not accessible from the back side of the bags which should make it hard for them to be stolen, never a problem yet for me but still a concern.

So this winter the 09 is going to get taken apart for a new (unnecessary) 120 engine and Shark conversion. I haven't picked out the radio yet but I have time to develop a nice plan for a bike I really love and still ride.

Hope this gives some realistic comparisons that are helpful to someone.

Last edited by FLYER; 06-30-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the excellent review and comparison. You may find the 2015 shark even better

Old 07-24-2014, 10:03 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
I'm just curious why people ask about mods they choose after they order them?
Perhaps they put value on other people's opinion? Perhaps to help dispel any 2nd thoughts they might have about doing a particular mod?

Old 07-24-2014, 10:34 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

Do Howard's and the CCE solution both require using the stock 2014 HD triple tree? Glad I subscribed to this thread. Since the CCE kit includes 2" over fork tubes, it appears you'll need 2" over cowbells?

Old 07-24-2014, 12:42 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaZund
Do Howard's and the CCE solution both require using the stock 2014 HD triple tree? Glad I subscribed to this thread. Since the CCE kit includes 2" over fork tubes, it appears you'll need 2" over cowbells?
The CCE kit uses the stock lower triple but no parts from a 14. The CCE's are for the pre 14 41mm tubes. The CCE upper triple is a cnc'd billet piece. The 2" longer tubes go UP into the upper triple, ride height and length of tubes below the lower triple remains the same. So in the CCE kit you get the upper tree and the replacement forks. You can use the stock Harley internals if you wish, I used progressive monotubes with fine results.

Last edited by FLYER; 07-24-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:46 PM
FLMARK
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice!

Old 07-24-2014, 02:17 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLYER
The CCE kit uses the stock lower triple but no parts from a 14. The CCE's are for the pre 14 41mm tubes. The CCE upper triple is a cnc'd billet piece. The 2" longer tubes go UP into the upper triple, ride height and length of tubes below the lower triple remains the same. So in the CCE kit you get the upper tree and the replacement forks. You can use the stock Harley internals if you wish, I used progressive monotubes with fine results.
ok, so with the CCE solution, I keep my oem 41mm lowers, my present progressive mono internals, and re-use my "lower" triple tree and neck bearings? I thought beefing up to the 2014 49mm legs was part of the overall fix.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:18 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaZund
ok, so with the CCE solution, I keep my oem 41mm lowers, my present progressive mono internals, and re-use my "lower" triple tree and neck bearings? I thought beefing up to the 2014 49mm legs was part of the overall fix.
You are correct about the CCE solution in that you can keep all your current components. When you order the CCE kit if you have monotubes you need to purchase the caps for the tubes that extend the length inside for the monotubes (extra $100 or so). I've ridden the '14 and currently have an '08 Road Glide with the CCE kit and can tell you it's a pricy peace, but makes a world of difference in the handling of my old frame bike. I bet an '09+ bike would be even better.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,254 Likes on 829 Posts

I had an '09...I upgraded the front and rear suspension, along with most of the items you mention. I said the same thing..."I've got my bike the way I want, I am not buying a new bike!"....until I rode one. Stock off the floor it was better...not a little, but a lot...than my '09 UC.

Quick Reply: Why I wanted a 14, but staying with my 09