Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I wanted a 14, but staying with my 09

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 03:12 PM
MCVDOM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the CCE triple tree could be the magic wand to fix up the front end of these older bikes. It is an expensive kit, mostly because CCE can't invest in a forging. The current piece is billet and is very nice. I am doing this upgrade soon. It isn't just the 49mm fork tubes which were added, it was new triple trees that actually clamp the fork tubes in place. So, instead of spending 12k extra for a new bike, spend 1k on a front end upgrade and be done with it. HD should have done this years ago!

Old 10-11-2013, 03:19 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,551 Likes on 22,445 Posts

I've done the Progressive Mono tubes for the front and the Progressive 940's for the rear.

Never experienced any wobble. FWIW.

Can't see jumping on the "New" bandwagon either.

My 09 is just fine.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:22 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the CCE upper triple tree with tube clamps sitting next to the stock one. It is a CNC machined aluminum piece. Very nice. All the stock components mount on it very easily. The clamp area is about two inches long which requires longer fork tubes, provided by CCE. Instructions were sparse, but in a phone call with CCE they said to torque the bolt to 40 ft. lbs.

It is a little bit of a job to disassemble the front end to get to this point, it took me about an hour.

Why I wanted a 14, but staying with my 09-photo.jpg

Old 10-11-2013, 03:54 PM
FLYER
Road Master

The CCE kit provides the top triple, two inch longer than stock fork tubes and two oversized bumper stops.

Straight forward preparation of the fork tubes. When I ordered my progressive monoshock kit they give you (you have to ask) a set of fork tube caps for the CCE tubes that push the progressive monoshocks into the tube the two inches. So it went like this.

Prepare yourself by buying a Harley manual for all of this work. It has pics and illustrations and instructions.

I took the Progressive monoshock, took off the stock cap and put on the one for the CCE fork. You install that with red locktight. Put the provided lower rebound spring on it and slid it into the CCE fork tube. There were plastic 2" spacers in the CCE kit that you would use for a stock conversion without the Progressive monotubes, do not use them. Do not screw the tube cap into the fork tube yet, as this is where you pour the 5 oz. of oil in. Don't pour the oil now.

Prepare the CCE fork tube by putting a new stock slider bushing on. It just slides on. The monoshock tip protrudes through the CCE tube by quite a few inches. Place the stock Harley aluminum tip spacers on the monoshock tube and slide the lower slider into place. A stock Harley screw is used on the bottom to secure the lower to the monoshock tip.

Then the upper slider bushing is installed along with the seal. Carefully measure 5 oz. of oil (I used the Bel Ray recommended by Progressive) and pour a little into the upper portion of the fork tube. Don't forget to have the drain screws on the lowers in place before you do this. After pouring an ounce or two you need to cycle the tube up and down in the lower to suck oil into the lower chamber. The tube itself will not hold the 5 oz. After filling and cycling the full 5 oz. then the top cap can screw into the fork tube.

That is the preparation it took to get to this point.

I decided to change it up a little bit and black some stuff out. I plan on selling the chrome lowers and tubes to recoup quite a bit of the cost of the CCE kit.

Why I wanted a 14, but staying with my 09-photo-5.jpg

Old 10-11-2013, 03:56 PM
FLYER
Road Master

Her is a pic of the Ness cowbells.

Why I wanted a 14, but staying with my 09-photo-4.jpg

Old 10-11-2013, 03:58 PM
FLYER
Road Master

This is the oversized rubber fork stop that slides over the fork tubes during assembly, one on each side.

Why I wanted a 14, but staying with my 09-photo-3.jpg

Old 10-11-2013, 04:00 PM
FLYER
Road Master

Where I ended up at 9:00 last night. So far this is really not that complicated.

Why I wanted a 14, but staying with my 09-photo-2.jpg

Old 10-12-2013, 12:19 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I desperately want to put a CCE triple tree on my 2011 Street Glide, but am concerned that it won't work with my existing Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 front suspension.

After speaking with both CCE & Traxxion, I still don't have a definitive answer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 10-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting post - marking to follow

Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 PM
FLYER
Road Master

Originally Posted by drspencer
I desperately want to put a CCE triple tree on my 2011 Street Glide, but am concerned that it won't work with my existing Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 front suspension.

After speaking with both CCE & Traxxion, I still don't have a definitive answer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
The Progressive monoshocks have the fork tube cap threaded onto the monoshock effectively making it one piece. Progressive provided an extended top cap for the longer CCE tubes. I had to unscrew the first top cap and replace it with the extebded one. If i was to have used the stock Harley components CCE provides a plastic spacer with the fork tubes to make up for the length difference of the stock vs CCE fork tubes.

So if the traxxions do not have the treaded top cap like the progressives you might just be able to use the spacers, not having seen the traxxions I would not know. I do know that the Progressive monoshocks could not be "floating" in the fork tube like the stock components, they need to be firmly fixed to the topcap. That might be how the Traxxions are also. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Why I wanted a 14, but staying with my 09