Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much are people being offered in trade for 2013 ultra limiteds?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Glenbo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back before I was forced into an adult sedan (Audi), I used to drive Corvettes and get a newer model every 2 or 3 years. No one ever asked my why I was trading in/up or poked me over the trade loss. Not sure why having half the wheels makes it that much different.

As long as you are eyes-open and know you're paying for the privilege, I say vaya con newness and if it's not time, keep the bike you love.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:23 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
The initial depreciation hit is the reason I don't buy new bikes.
YEP....But some people like to throw away money. They are usually the ones making payments on bikes and cars long after the age which they should be cash and carry,

Old 09-19-2013, 11:38 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Why did you pay $27,300 for a bike that is $24K?

If you tell me all the crap you had the dealer put on, forget it, its not part of the equation. Take the stuff off and sell it separately, it wont change your trade in value and you could recoup *some* of the *parts* cost (but of course not the labor).

Yes, wake up.
I don't know how things go in MI, but here in the SF Bay Area, tax alone is almost 10%. 9.75% in some counties. Add $450 registration and some doc fees and you get your $27k.

Buy the same bike in Oregon and there's no sales tax.

Trade in a bike in Nevada for a new one, and you only pay sales tax on the difference between your trade-in value and the new purchase price.

Maybe someone should look in a mirror and see if they need some coffee...

Old 09-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
I don't know how things go in MI, but here in the SF Bay Area, tax alone is almost 10%. 9.75% in some counties. Add $450 registration and some doc fees and you get your $27k.

Buy the same bike in Oregon and there's no sales tax.

Trade in a bike in Nevada for a new one, and you only pay sales tax on the difference between your trade-in value and the new purchase price.

Maybe someone should look in a mirror and see if they need some coffee...
OK, well - you dont expect to recoup your taxes do you? That just shouldnt be in your cost calculation of your trade in bike.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,192 Likes on 7,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
In your scenario, both bikes are identical. How can there be a 2K out of pocket difference if there is NOTHING different between the bikes traded and the bikes purchased?

Shakey
Surely you have already experience two dealers pricing the same bike at different prices?

I have many times. When I bought mine it was one price at Statesville NC and another in Winston Salem. The ONLY difference between the two bikes was the luggage rack. One had the standard and the other had the one with the brake light. The one with the brake light which was a more expensive option was actually priced almost $200.00 cheaper than the other.

The best example (most extreme) was the first time I visited Destination Daytona. They are marking up CVO's $10K above MRSP. If you did not know better and did not shop around you may get a GREAT trade in price but actually leave owing more than if you had traded with the guy that had both numbers right.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Glenbo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
YEP....But some people like to throw away money. They are usually the ones making payments on bikes and cars long after the age which they should be cash and carry,
Bikes should always be cash and carry IMO.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:50 PM
ndabunka
Intermediate

Originally Posted by desertwolf
YOU NEED TO WAKE UP A BIT? MY MATH IS FUNKY? Paid 27, 300.00 for the bike. And I put 10, 800 plus miles on a bike that I bought near the end of may. So dont tell me my math is funky.
Yes, wake UP! WAY, WAY HIGH miles and you (for some illogical reason) feel like the HD dealer should cover your 10% taxes? That's freaking INSANE! No dealer that I (or anyone else in their sane mind) has EVER heard of that so you might want to climb back down off that high horse of yours and realize that it was only a $24K bike BEFORE TAXES so don't be expecting ANYONE to give you anywhere NEAR what you are expecting out of it

The other person who got the $2K more than you "expected" to get also had about 1/2 the miles you put on yours so unless you can find a (legal) way to shave about 5K miles off of it, don't expect the story to change from the dealer. Of course you could always SELL IT YOURSELF in the open market if you want to see what the REAL value is...

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-19-2013 at 11:56 PM.