Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles does your dealer put on your bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

I put as many mile on my bike as I can when I get done servicing it. To date the dealer has put 0 on it. But yeah 10 miles seems pretty reasonable, I'd be a lot more worried if I only saw 1-2.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:56 PM
bingram1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pastime
OK to get opinions and info here, but you should be asking the service manager. If I recollect correctly, I see about 8 or 9 miles on mine when I get it back. Never thought twice about it. If you honestly think the dealer would let someone "test ride" your bike, IMO there's something seriously wrong there somewhere. Sounds like you don't trust them. If that's true, get it straight with them or go elsewhere or you'll always have lingering questions in your head about this and that every time your bike is there.
I get the thing about if you have a problem at a certain speed and taking it up to there, but this was a 1k service. I see you are in S.E. WI, this was at Hal's. Where do you take yours to?

Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The past few new bikes I have bought came from the same dealer - 10 miles, more or less when delivered.

Last edited by mmcbeat; 09-12-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:09 PM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bingram1
I get the thing about if you have a problem at a certain speed and taking it up to there, but this was a 1k service. I see you are in S.E. WI, this was at Hal's. Where do you take yours to?
I wasn't busting your *****, honest. And I won't bash Hal's; I just decided to not do business there for my own reasons. I take mine to Wisconsin Harley. When I bought the bike there, as part of the delivery process they explained their service regimen to me....including test riding when they're done to make sure everything on the bike is tight and operating as expected, not just that it runs. I've been very happy with everything they've done for me and recommend them. They may not be convenient for you, though, as they're a few miles from Hal's. Might be worth the ride?

Last edited by pastime; 09-12-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:15 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a GPS & leave it in the saddle bags & trac it with your cell phone if you don't trust them

Old 09-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Axegrinder
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Just had My 14 in for the 1k service it took about 3hrs and they put around 10 miles on it...I wouldn't care if they put 30 on it. I trust my local shop and if they want to be thorough who am I to complain.

I recently had the 2012 Limited in for an intermittent clutch problem. I left the bike with them for about a week and a half because they were having trouble replicating the issue. When I got the bike back the service manager told me they went over everything with a fine tooth comb and he personally test rode the bike a lot to be sure it was right. When I got it back it had in the neighborhood of 150 miles on it.. Did this make me mad...NO.. It made me happy because they put the effort into getting it right. That is the reason they do my work and why I traded and bought my !4 Limited there. It was ordered for me prepped free of charge put in the warehouse not on the showroom for display where people would be sitting on it and I was called to come inspect it before they even had the paperwork for it.. If you don't trust your dealer you should find another one..

Old 09-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Teachinator
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Part of owning a Harley is knowing how to wrench on her when she becomes the BEAST. She's easily satisfied when her basic needs are met, but becomes a bitch when neglected.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:14 PM
yellowted
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

is it sad that i never look?

andrew

Old 09-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Tom T-Bird
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I suspect the service department has a set test route they take for all service. There are several reasons for this. If a problem occurs the service department knows where to look for the stranded service tech. Also it is probably set up to make sure the bike comes to operating temp before the test ride is over. The tech goes for the same ride no matter what service was performed for the sake of always being consistent.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:46 PM
James K
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to be a A$$.

But 10 miles you are sweating 10 miles.

It takes a little bit for things to get warmed up and make sure they are functioning properly.

I give you that you should be upset if it had 100 miles added but 10 miles not something to worry about.

OR you could do your own services and test ride it 10 miles.

JMO

Quick Reply: How many miles does your dealer put on your bike