Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running this aircleaner setup ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Anyone running this aircleaner setup ?

I am running a DK Custom 587 aircleaner with the optional hose and filter kit. I was wondering if anyone else has this same setup and if so how is it working out for you. I was using the breather bolts previously but when running high speeds I experienced oil mist getting on my engine. After purchasing the hose and filter kit it was recommended I place the filter in an upward position. I was told if I let it hang down low I would probably get an oil drip at some point. I might mention I do run exactly 3 1/2 quarts of oil as recommended to avoid blow by.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone running this aircleaner setup ?-p1030459.jpg  
Old 09-11-2013, 11:40 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

Looks kinda out of place

Old 09-12-2013, 03:53 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

First I've seen this one.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:51 AM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
I am running a DK Custom 587 aircleaner with the optional hose and filter kit. I was wondering if anyone else has this same setup and if so how is it working out for you. I was using the breather bolts previously but when running high speeds I experienced oil mist getting on my engine. After purchasing the hose and filter kit it was recommended I place the filter in an upward position. I was told if I let it hang down low I would probably get an oil drip at some point. I might mention I do run exactly 3 1/2 quarts of oil as recommended to avoid blow by.
I used to have your setup on my street glide but didn't have enough room to run the breather kit on top so I hung it below. Worked fine for awhile but eventually started to drip all over my bags, cam case and frame. For my 30 mile commute it worked fine and I was able to wipe down the breather kit filter after each trip but when taking longer runs, especially if getting caught in stop and go traffic, it ended up puking oil all over. Ended up switching it out for a RSD cleaner during my trip to Milwaukee last month. No blow by so far with the RSD.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Kury Corsair set-up, I tried the provided breather filter, it made a mess too.
I ended up running a line under the tank, behind the frame plate and the left side cover all the way down past the belt strapped to the frame.
No more mess, especially in the throttle body from all that oil coating the sensors and ports.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:52 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like something from an old British twin...that leaked,,,and leaked...and then leak. Not a Norton though!

Old 09-12-2013, 12:03 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Remove the filter, put a T-fitting in there and run a single hose through the heads and down through the slot where your rear shifter linkage is, zip tie to the frame.....the set up now looks like "crap" on a touring bike in MHO.....

Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

Strange but it is your ride, you can add anything you want

Old 09-12-2013, 01:20 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I ran that filter on my dyna with the breather bolts ,I didnt have any problems with it.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am going to try running a hose to the ground as advised and see if that satisfies me. I have a couple of questions before I start. I believe what I need is 3/8 hose but not sure what length I need to buy. Someone mentioned zip tie it down and run it past the belt which sounds like a good place for it to end. I'm not sure which would work better a T fitting or a Y fitting. Can I plug the end of the hose and just drain it every so often or does it need to stay open so it can breath ? I will also but my smooth chrome bobber cover back on because it looks much nicer.

Quick Reply: Anyone running this aircleaner setup ?