Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Tranny leak after seal replacements

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013 | 08:41 AM
CGLTD
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Still Tranny leak after seal replacements

Hello All,

I recently replaced all of the seals in and behind the primary including the little quad seal. I still have a small drip from behind the front belt sprocket. I was able to see that it wasn't the shifter shaft seal. So that leaves the qaud, mainshaft or the 5th gear seals. I was careful not to nick the shaft. The mainshaft didn't wiggle around at all when I had everything off so it seemed in there good. Any other ideas or something I should look for?

Thanks

Old 09-11-2013 | 08:48 AM
dacula951
Advanced

Has the shifter shaft seal ever been replaced? It is so common for that seal to leak and when they do it can seem like it is leaking from someplace else.

Old 09-11-2013 | 09:17 AM
dacula951
Advanced

Oh, one other thing. Did you use some type of sealer on the mating surfaces of the inner primary bolts, and on the bolt threads on the lowest one? The 5 bolts that are inside the primary have no real way of sealing so I put a little film of RTV on the flat surface around the holes on the inner primary before putting it on. The lowest bolt that is under the sprocket has open threads so it can technically leak through the threads, so on that one I put RTV on the threads also. Not doing this would probably not result in any meaningful leak. Just something to keep in mind and if I remember correctly, the service manual does make mention of this.

Old 09-11-2013 | 09:21 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

It could be tranny itself. If the 5th gear main bearing is shot it can leak from there. I had this issue as did a buddy. Only solution was to pull the tranny and fix from the inside. Mine was on an 02, my buddy's on an 09.

Old 09-11-2013 | 10:27 AM
CGLTD
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dacula951
Has the shifter shaft seal ever been replaced? It is so common for that seal to leak and when they do it can seem like it is leaking from someplace else.
I did replace that.

Originally Posted by dacula951
Oh, one other thing. Did you use some type of sealer on the mating surfaces of the inner primary bolts, and on the bolt threads on the lowest one? The 5 bolts that are inside the primary have no real way of sealing so I put a little film of RTV on the flat surface around the holes on the inner primary before putting it on. The lowest bolt that is under the sprocket has open threads so it can technically leak through the threads, so on that one I put RTV on the threads also. Not doing this would probably not result in any meaningful leak. Just something to keep in mind and if I remember correctly, the service manual does make mention of this.
I did not use any. I don't remember seeing that in the manual, but I will do it next time!

Originally Posted by Hogpro
It could be tranny itself. If the 5th gear main bearing is shot it can leak from there. I had this issue as did a buddy. Only solution was to pull the tranny and fix from the inside. Mine was on an 02, my buddy's on an 09.
That's what I was thinking. At least I know exactly how to take everything off! I am using redline so I definately know it is the tranny!

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2013 | 04:50 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army

My money is on the quad seal. Know why it's called the quad seal? Look at it real close; use a magnifier if necessary and you will see that the seal has four corners. Real easy to get that sucker twisted. I have had the same problem and finally started using a little clear silicone to hold that little seal in place while reassembling the primary. JMHO.

You might get some better input by posting this in the transmission/primary tech section.