Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona! Trip to short :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 01:04 PM
RainMaker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytona! Trip to short :(

Got back from Daytona yesterday and man I certainly didn’t get enough.... (Insert everything here). My wife and I celebrated out 19th year anniversary on our first Daytona trip.. just an awesome time..zero flaws..couldn’t have asked for a better get away.

Stayed at the Hilton (~700 Atlantic) and man, being close enough to stumble back to the room is def a winner. So much to see, so much to eat, so much to drink.. man, sitting here in the office and I still feel tipsy Let the detox begin! Wish I was still there!

On another note..
07 UC, 2300 miles, and my god, the heating issue is unreal. Pipes, race tuner, and filter.. and I blistered (literally) my inner thigh with the heat generated just from riding up main street once. I would have to take it across the bridge and back before making another pass on Main to even be able to stand it. Out on the road moving, heat wasn’t an issue at all. Sit in traffic for more than 10 minutes and your nutroaster is working overtime. Also, when it got hot like that, it would run sluggish. I could rap the throttle and very very sluggish response. When cold, it ran like a top, get some temps on her and she was a dog.

On the way back home, 530 miles, I set the cruise control at 85 and rolled (damnit, 85 is the max settable speed on the cruise). I would stop every ~140 miles for gas and stretch. That’s when i would have some strange occurrences on how the bike ran. When I was ready to gas and go, I would start out and it would act like it was flooded. I would cut out severally for about 45 seconds or until I could open her up a couple times, almost like I was blowing out the carbs (its injection....). Once I got back on the interstate and up to speed, zero issues on performance.

My question then to the techs out there... why would my bike run like pure **** after letting it cool down after a solid 140 mile run? Being a fuel injection bike, I could not see it being a fuel issue but felt very much like one. Either that, of the plugs were fowling.. have the 2500 mile service coming up soon and just wanted to get a little educated from your feedback before heading in.

Is the only fix to the heating issue a heat shield? Your thoughts?

Lots and lots of pics, if will try to get some links going tonight.

For those just heading out to Daytona… you SUCK!!..wish I could go with yas J

Old 03-07-2007, 01:16 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Daytona! Trip to short :(

Just running too lean, get your upgrades and it will feel like you sold that bike and bought another, no need to dwell on it, just do it.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:23 PM
RainMaker
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Just running too lean, get your upgrades and it will feel like you sold that bike and bought another, no need to dwell on it, just do it.
I have the Rhinehart slipons, race tuner, and filter. Do you think I should insist on a Dyno-redo? I paid for the Dyno tune and all at my 500 mile service and it felt like it had slower response off the line but more midrange. When i bought the bike, I had them add all the upgrades before I picked it up. They put in a "safe" map they had untill I could get the break in miles done and they could put it on the Dyno. The safe map ran alot better as far as performance.

Wasnt until this past week that I was able to ride it in stop and go traffic and feel the heat. Also havent put any long trips on it till now and havent experienced the sputter before.

I guess my question GR is, since I have all the addons already done.. what should I look for or expect as a fix? Add heat shield and drive it like I stole it and let the warranty fix it or is there a viable fix to prevent overheating and engine dmg. I have a hand held surface temp meter I use for my RCs, going to try and get a temp reading from it.. what do I want to see as far as a max temp from the heads?

Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM
BIGSKY_FLHXI
Road Master

Get true duals and get the heat away from you leg.....Also run synthetic oil, it will run a little cooler. If all else fails, have your wife keep her hand on your guys to protect them. Wait, maybe that should be the first thing to try...

Old 03-07-2007, 01:39 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: RainMaker

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

I have the Rhinehart slipons, race tuner, and filter. Do you think I should insist on a Dyno-redo? I paid for the Dyno tune and all at my 500 mile service and it felt like it had slower response off the line but more midrange. When i bought the bike, I had them add all the upgrades before I picked it up. They put in a "safe" map they had untill I could get the break in miles done and they could put it on the Dyno. The safe map ran alot better as far as performance.

Wasnt until this past week that I was able to ride it in stop and go traffic and feel the heat. Also havent put any long trips on it till now and havent experienced the sputter before.

I guess my question GR is, since I have all the addons already done.. what should I look for or expect as a fix? Add heat shield and drive it like I stole it and let the warranty fix it or is there a viable fix to prevent overheating and engine dmg. I have a hand held surface temp meter I use for my RCs, going to try and get a temp reading from it.. what do I want to see as far as a max temp from the heads?
If you have heat like that and those running issues, its not tuned right. I would defently ask for a retune. JFYI, some dealers will not reprogram a 07 except with epa compliant settings. Did you watch them dyno? I would raise some dust, its not close to right. Biggest problem with the SERT is your at the mercy of the dealer, some have good tuners most dont. You might check with some of the guys on here that live in your area and find a dealer that has a good tuner.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:41 PM
RainMaker
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: BIGSKY_FLHXI

Get true duals and get the heat away from you leg.....Also run synthetic oil, it will run a little cooler. If all else fails, have your wife keep her hand on your guys to protect them. Wait, maybe that should be the first thing to try...
Yea, thats what I'm thinking also. The heat was bad on both sides but the left side is the one that burnt me so trueduals may be the only real fix for the burning... already running the synthetics..

I havent researched it yet but would imagine I can just use my existing slipons with a truedual setup?

Just dont want to have to keep pumping money into it if it remains a motor damaging issue (not sure if it is or not.. but If I can do something to prevent engine failure.. im all for preventative..). Overheating is bad bad bad... trueduals I dont think address the heat issue as much as it just moves it from burning you, does it?

Thanks again for the resonses...

Old 03-07-2007, 01:45 PM
RainMaker
Cruiser

If you have heat like that and those running issues, its not tuned right. I would defently ask for a retune. JFYI, some dealers will not reprogram a 07 except with epa compliant settings. Did you watch them dyno? I would raise some dust, its not close to right.

[/quote]

No, I didnt watch the Dyno.. didnt even ask. Is that something I should ask to see? As far as the EPA compliant check.. I am not sure. I know they started me off with a "safe" map (what they called it) when I first had the addons installed.

I have the dyno print out, perhaps I can scan it and post it later. Would love to let you guys peek at it before I ask them to redo...

My dealer has been awesome..hopefully they will work with me on it and not try to recharge me..

Old 03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

Its not the exhaust, its the tune. If it was mine I would find a good reccomended tuner and then take the bill to your dealer and get them to credit you for their bad dyno tune.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:06 PM
BLACK 3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RainMaker

ORIGINAL: BIGSKY_FLHXI

Yea, thats what I'm thinking also. The heat was bad on both sides but the left side is the one that burnt me so trueduals may be the only real fix for the burning... already running the synthetics..

I havent researched it yet but would imagine I can just use my existing slipons with a truedual setup?

Just dont want to have to keep pumping money into it if it remains a motor damaging issue (not sure if it is or not.. but If I can do something to prevent engine failure.. im all for preventative..). Overheating is bad bad bad... trueduals I dont think address the heat issue as much as it just moves it from burning you, does it?

Thanks again for the resonses...

1. are you running with the lowers on while in traffic?

if so you will get all of the heat from the engine- take them off and it should
be a little bit better

2. you can get a set of v/h true duals and keep your r/h slip ons or get the r/h t/d
from 1 of the sponsors on this site and sell the slip ons

3. i would do like the other guys are saying and have a good tuner retune your bike

Old 03-07-2007, 02:20 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: RainMaker

"On another note..
07 UC, 2300 miles, and my god, the heating issue is unreal. Pipes, race tuner, and filter.. and I blistered (literally) my inner thigh with the heat generated just from riding up main street once. I would have to take it across the bridge and back before making another pass on Main to even be able to stand it. Out on the road moving, heat wasn’t an issue at all. Sit in traffic for more than 10 minutes and your nutroaster is working overtime. "

Check out www.rjsoriginals.com

Quick Reply: Daytona! Trip to short :(