Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only that thinks.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013 | 03:43 PM
SoundRide
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
I work in Engineering and we deal with realities, I always thought I would like to try to work in Marketing and deal with make believes.

I would love to sit around and make up Stupid Azz names like Infotainment and get paid for it.

Really though, I think it would drive me crazy. In Engineering, there are a lot of challenges, but overcoming those challenges is rewarding. How can you go home in the evening and think "All I did today was come up with a lame azz name like Infotainment?
Actually, it's an automotive term that came out of the engineering community.

Old 09-11-2013 | 05:14 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default Auto maybe, Engineering, no way

The term probably did come from the auto industry, but you'll never convince me an engineer came up with it. I work with plenty of both and the term definitely has marketing written all over it.

"Came out of an Engineering community" Just about anything that is produced that has any complexity comes out of an engineering community. Then when the engineers are done creating, Marketing comes up with stupid names for the products.

Engineers produce products. Marketing produces perceptions.

They help to make it so the public wants the products and that is an important job, but a lot of the time they are just plain silly.

Old 09-12-2013 | 06:49 AM
ejvette
|
Outstanding HDF Member

The term probably did come from the auto industry, but you'll never convince me an engineer came up with it. I work with plenty of both and the term definitely has marketing written all over it.

"Came out of an Engineering community" Just about anything that is produced that has any complexity comes out of an engineering community. Then when the engineers are done creating, Marketing comes up with stupid names for the products.

They help to make it so the public wants the products and that is an important job, but a lot of the time they are just plain silly.
I dunno my pappy said never trust an engineer.....but he may have been talking about the guys that drive the trains

Old 09-12-2013 | 07:05 AM
jsims002
Cruiser

The opposite of the infotainment system is the voice mail message at this local custom shop that went out of business, "hello, this is David at Scooter Works. This is not me, it's my machine, I'm busy so leave a message......beeeeeeep"

Old 09-12-2013 | 07:53 AM
sageone
Advanced

I hear that the Goldwing uses a lot of automotive technology-related terms too. Hmm, strange.

Old 09-12-2013 | 08:06 AM
sageone
Advanced

Originally Posted by sageone
I hear that the Goldwing uses a lot of automotive technology-related terms too. Hmm, strange.
I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. I'm just jealous that I don't have an Infotainment system on my bike.

Old 09-12-2013 | 08:42 AM
SoundRide
6th Gear

While you're right for most occasions, this one actually did come from the electrical systems engineering world. There's nothing much more quintessentially "engineer" than IEEE white papers, and they're full of references to "infotainment".

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/search/se...&x=-840&y=-184

You can trace them back to well before the term was used in customer-facing marketing. Sad but true.