Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange sounds

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Road Glide Mark
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange sounds

Has anyone heard a pinging sound coming from the engine and it only makes noise when you roll the throttle to fast?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/image...con_monkey.gif

Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 PM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If the air temps are about 90 degrees or more, my 2011 will start pinging when leaving a stop sign.
When this happens, I need to apply the throttle slowly to keep the pinging down

If the air temps are lower, I don't seem to have this problem.

I've blamed this on the thought (don't know if it's true or not) that the engine is running a bit leaner because of the catalyst.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

Pre-Ignition ping that is aggravated with heat and is momentary because the knock sensor is signalling the control module to retard timing and avoid ping resulting is reduced performance.

If you have a stock bike the problem can be reduced with a change to your fuel map. Some people pay the dealership to do this and some pay less to purchase an aftermarket fuel tuner and download the tested and proven program for their build.

it will only be a

Old 09-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Road Glide Mark
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
Pre-Ignition ping that is aggravated with heat and is momentary because the knock sensor is signalling the control module to retard timing and avoid ping resulting is reduced performance.

If you have a stock bike the problem can be reduced with a change to your fuel map. Some people pay the dealership to do this and some pay less to purchase an aftermarket fuel tuner and download the tested and proven program for their build.

it will only be a
I noticed as I reduce the throttle it will slowly go away, but I have a stage 1 download with a high flow air cleaner. The service writer attributed this to poor fuel quality and ethanol, he suggested octane boost as well.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Glide Mark
I noticed as I reduce the throttle it will slowly go away, but I have a stage 1 download with a high flow air cleaner. The service writer attributed this to poor fuel quality and ethanol, he suggested octane boost as well.

well the service writer would be slow to blame the "download" they sold you.

so I call shenanigans on that.

fuel quality is mandated by regulation- and vehicles are REQUIRED to conform.
= don't bother relaying that to service writer- he's already shown his hand.
I think it would be worthwhile to ask the dealer that sold you this service to double check their work as the results are poor ( at no charge to you).
Remember the service writer is not alway a tech- and that he has a commission position- they make money by pushing services on you.

--------------

so, as above the ECM will retard timing to reduce pinging, but there is a corresponding loss in power.

the only thing the rider can do is ensure that the proper gear range is selected. ( does this apply to you?- some riders rev too low)

after that it is altering the air/fuel mixture or ignition timing via use of a "download", tuner or other device

I myself use nightrider.com xieds. which slightly richen the mixture

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-09-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:17 PM
09TxRoadKing
Advanced

Make sure your using the premium gasoline. Just regular unleaded will cause it to ping.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:05 PM
KCMooose
Advanced

You probably need a richer air fuel ratio (helps with heat) and to retard your timing.

Get a non-HD tuner. The dealership cannot / will not do this correctly with a "download" and in my experience they fail to do it with their own Super Tuner and hours of dyno time.