Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB on bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:15 AM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default CB on bikes?

I have a 13 Ultra limited and I guess it comes equiped to utilize a CB. What is needed to actually use a CB on one? And what do people actually use the CB for? When I think of CB's I think of outdated almost obsolete technology kinda like cassettes and CD's. Am I missing something?

Old 09-07-2013, 11:21 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by desertwolf
I have a 13 Ultra limited and I guess it comes equiped to utilize a CB. What is needed to actually use a CB on one? And what do people actually use the CB for? When I think of CB's I think of outdated almost obsolete technology kinda like cassettes and CD's. Am I missing something?
Modern aftermarket helmet communication systems provide better bike to bike communications and will interface with your cellphone so you can use it too. They use more modern modulation methods which provide clearer sound than the old AM modulated CB radio.

http://www.cardosystems.com/
http://senabluetooth.com/

Last edited by fat_tony; 09-07-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:42 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Modern aftermarket helmet communication systems provide better bike to bike communications and will interface with your cellphone so you can use it too. They use more modern modulation methods which provide clearer sound than the old AM modulated CB radio.

http://www.cardosystems.com/
http://senabluetooth.com/
But the trick is to have everyone in your group with the same setup. I ride with a ton of folks with Ultras and we ride and talk **** the whole way. Can make a long trip fun.

CB works just fine and has an ok range. It's interesting to be able to listen to truckers (who don't use Bluetooth) for 5.0 spotting, emergencies, accidents, and just listening to their crazy talk. Funny most times. "Breaker 1 9 I got a fire crotch running a dime up on two bears in a sack eating donuts, come back ya-hear?" lol

We have two riders in our normal group that are on BMWs that obviously don't have integrated CB. They wear their Bluetooth helmets and chat about coffee and tax laws etc. We always give them crap. We call them the twins or the Germans in good fun.

Then there is the guy who has both CB and Bluetooth. He's too busy talking to ride right so he stays in the front where we can watch him.

Ridden to two Sturgis rallies, seven Daytonas, nine or more MBBW like that. Something about riding with a group of trusted friends. It's always a party on the move.

So CB, Yes. It's worth it with the right people around. Liked it so much I installed it on my RGC and SG for the then wife. Was around 1800 bucks for two bikes so you know...I thought it must be worth it.

Just sharing my experience.

Also, to answer the question you need headset(s). Found at your dealer.

lp

Last edited by lp; 09-07-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:58 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

use mine on group rides all the time , you can get a hand held mike and use your fairing speaker or get one on e bay like this one I have and no problems or lots of places other than the dealer , just make sure it is for your bike , the older bikes were different , I like this one because if I am not using it I just put it in the trunk , it is not part of my helmet , and it will work with the radio and intercom

Old 09-07-2013, 01:04 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting. The bike came with a headset. Had no idea CB was still widely used.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:17 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Found it comes in handy (CB) when riding in groups....have one rider in front, one in the rear....one in the middle if able to. Come up to a traffic light.....middle guy can say if they made it through. Tail guy can say how many were 'trapped'....and when they start moving again.....how far they are behind. If everyone made it through the light.....rear person can say "Clear" and the leader knows to increase speed. Just little things like that can make a ride comfortable.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:34 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my opinion, it's completely useless and unnecessary. Very outdated also.

A CB to let me know who didnt get through the light?? It's their own fault, now they can play catchup haha... All part of the fun.

Admittedly it would be moderately entertaining if you happen to catch some truckers yapping, but not likely and I'd probably prefer a talk show via streamed radio.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:41 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by rsarno
Just my opinion, it's completely useless and unnecessary. Very outdated also.

A CB to let me know who didnt get through the light?? It's their own fault, now they can play catchup haha... All part of the fun.

Admittedly it would be moderately entertaining if you happen to catch some truckers yapping, but not likely and I'd probably prefer a talk show via streamed radio.
From the guy who thinks "Tailgunner" exhaust is "WOW!"... lol Just messing.

Yeah I hear ya, and it's dated. Still fun though. Although waiting for people to catch up from a light isn't all that fun???

lp

Old 09-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

We use them all the time on touring rides...keeps us awake, also nice for needed fuel, bathroom breaks, cool things we see ( cars, buildings, tourist. Things)....also if the guy in the back has a problem. Now some don't use them, but then some don't get very far ou of town...guess if all I did was ride from bar to bar I wouldn't need one...but we like touring...so yep I like and use one. headsets, hand held mic.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:01 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

We regularly take overnight trips and longer with larger groups and even with only two bikes, bike to bike com makes all the difference in the world. we'll see something interesting and point it out and tslk about it for awhile, when we get to our destination the few without com were oblivious to the whole event and say what are you talking about... if you have comm you'll know

Quick Reply: CB on bikes?