Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobra FI2000 PWRPRO Experience/Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:36 PM
bsnilloc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cobra FI2000 PWRPRO Experience/Dyno

I just thought I would put this out there since I was unable to find any information when I first bought my bike that gave anything more than a seat of the pants review and theories.

I bought a used 2011 Street Glide with 4" Rineharts (103ci motor) and the rest was bone stock. I was sucked into the old debate of to tune or not to tune to avoid the factory lean fuel issue with aftermarket pipes. Literally it was 50/50 between all the mechanics I talked to if I needed a tuner or not to have a "healthier" and long lasting motor.

I chose to tune but wanted versatility as I planned on doing the air box, headpipe etc as funds become available over the summer. I also didn't want to have to retune every time I made a change and wanted it to be something I could do in my garage. I chose to try the Cobra FI2000 PWRPRO self tuning product.

In the past few months I put an S&S air box on and decatted my headpipe (drill method). During those upgrades I assumed the tuner was working but was never sure.

Today I had it Dyno'd and here is what I learned;

The tuner certainly starts from "zero" every time you turn the bike on/off and start it. There is no memory or map that stays within the tuner. This means that when we put the bike up and ran it through the dyno, every gear showed a VERY RICH mixture during full throttle runs. It had no time to get itself dialed in.

The mechanic came out laughing (as he stated he is not a fan of the Cobra Tuners) and said, "you must get a whole 20 mpg!" I told him that he needs to try and run the dyno again, but take it through the gears for a minute first like you were normally riding, and see if it learns the needs first. He did this for about a minute and also held it at 60-70 mph (like cruising highway speeds). While "cruising" at that speed the Air/Fuel mixture was adjusted by the tuner to dead on what was required and was no longer rich. He then ran one more pull, I believe it was 6th gear, and the results were really good.

I'll include the dyno sheet for that pull. The mixture was pretty flat on the graph, and hovered around the desired level throughout the run, and I made 77hp/94ft lbs.

My goal all along was to have a healthy sounding bike, and avoid running lean and burning up a motor. The added power was just a bonus to me, but not my priority. I also saved hundreds in dyno tuning for every time I changed a part on the bike. (Today run cost me $43 out the door just to settle my curiosity)

So for those using, or interested in the Cobra Tuner, it does what it says it will, it just take a minute or 2 to get dialed in.

(I give all of this information, not to start a debate about Cobra tuners versus other options. I just wanted to post my experience for anyone wondering if the claimed "magic" of the cobra PWRPRO tuner works as advertised.)

Attached Thumbnails Cobra FI2000 PWRPRO Experience/Dyno-img_1410.jpg  
Old 09-06-2013, 10:53 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting. Thanks for posting a review with results. Good numbers.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:08 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been running the same Cobra tuner on my Road Glide for about 2 years. Intake, exhaust and cam change, the tuner works really good. I wanted to put it on a dyno like you did but with the raked out front end and 26" wheel it was to long for our dealers dyno.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been running mine for 2 years also with no problems. Just looked at my spark plugs yesterday and both a nice caramel color. Never had it on a dyno, and been thru 2 upgrades. First was a set of 510 gear drive cams and this last time was the BB with head work and bigger cams, but still run the MM injection.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:26 AM
USMCScoutSwimmer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I have and had no issues. I just have Stage 1 Kit.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 AM
bsnilloc
Cruiser

I am glad I could help out a few of you with the confidence that the tuner is working.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 AM
factorybuilt
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Would that work on a '97 Ultra Evo. First year of the EFI. I have American Custom slip on mufflers but, want to get her more air. Thanks for the info. I just spoke to guy yesterday, and he was talking about his Cobra tuner. He loved it.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:53 AM
bsnilloc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by factorybuilt
Would that work on a '97 Ultra Evo. First year of the EFI. I have American Custom slip on mufflers but, want to get her more air. Thanks for the info. I just spoke to guy yesterday, and he was talking about his Cobra tuner. He loved it.
I am no expert and only understand the basics of the product but I would say if your bike is EFI and has O2 sensors it should work the same.

I will say I had called cobra once with some inquiries and they were very helpful in answering my questions. Call them up and ask them.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, it will work on your MM injected Ultra. Just let them know you have the early MM system. I have it on my 01 MM injected Ultra.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:03 AM
roaddog007
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cobra fi2000 at

goodmorning to all of you! this is what i am running. i have a 2012 ultr-classic limited with a cobra fi2000 power-pro at/s&s power tune header system/arlen ness big sucker air cleaner/and a set of TAILGUNNER GUNSHIPS. the install was not to bad except for the part about plugging into the fuel injector,s not for someone with big hands. the bike runs great with this set-up no problems at all. at 60mph it barely runs 2,500rpm,s. i have checked the plug,s at times they look great. when i roll on that throttle it does not hesitste at all. it is ike a beast that wants out! i have also checked the unit under the right side cover where it is installed it does blink a number of times to tell you it is working like it should. also if you go to the cobra website it does not need to run with your o2 sensor,s. yes i did take mine out and put plugs in. the bike runs real good no problems at all. i have read so many thread,s on tuner,s i really just want a plug-in like this. take your time installing it and start riding. roaddog007

Quick Reply: Cobra FI2000 PWRPRO Experience/Dyno