Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16" or 20" windshield buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 PM
fatbob
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 16" or 20" windshield buffeting

Has anyone had a 16" and a 20" windshield on their road king. Did the buffeting get better with the 20" windshield or worse. I have a 16" now and was thinking that the 20" might be better to stop the buffeting. Let me know if anyone has an answer before I spend the money on a 20" windshield only to find out it's worse or no different.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Disneydave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not for good looks but fork deflectors are probably what you need. When your out for a ride move your hands around and you'll probably find most of the wind is coming around the tank and then p to your chest and face area.
After making this change I was able to go to a shorter windshield.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:38 PM
hammick
Novice

The stock shield buffets my helmet but so does a shorter shield. My reckless fairing with any windshield buffets me. I'm 5'9" with 30" inseam. The new street glide and new ultra buffet me even with the vent. I think the buffeting comes around the screen or fairing. Had the same problem with an R1200r BMW with different shields. I'm going to try some wind deflectors on my batwing.

Buffeting may just be the nature of the beast. I won't tour on mine unless I get it sorted. Hoping the deflectors are the fix

Old 09-05-2013, 10:49 PM
fatbob
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hammick, you have the same measurements as me and nothing helped. Do you recall if the taller shield was any better? I just dont like the look of the fork deflectors, but it seems that might be the solution.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:48 PM
hammick
Novice

I've only had the bike a week. My first harley. 2010 road king. It has a removable reckless batwing. I demoed all the wind splitter screens with no luck and also the 8.5" klockwerks. I've removed the batwing and put on the stock road king shield which is right at my sight line (too tall). The shorter Memphis shades shield which I have also buffets. It's not the shield but the wind coming under and/or around the shield. Your dealer might let you demo a set of fork deflectors. Let me know if it helps or cures the buffeting. I want to have mine in street glide form most of the time so I am going to try the adjustable bat wing deflectors.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:52 PM
hammick
Novice

I would also like to try the screaming eagle road king shield with the vent. My closest dealer would let me demo one but they don't have one in stock.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Rhombus
Advanced
Default Clearview Shields

Go to Clearview Shields. More options and a great fitting instructions.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:01 PM
hammick
Novice

I bought a HD 10" Windsplitter. Also put on a set of adjustable deflectors on the batwing. Most of the buffeting is gone. If it's really windy out I still get beat around some. These bikes were not designed in a wind tunnel.

Last edited by hammick; 09-20-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:00 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 09-20-2013, 10:30 PM
torinoman
Cruiser

I've been down that road. My bike already had the fork deflectors I replaced the windshield with LRS 19" recurve windshield,that helped a little,then I installed vented lower fairings,that helped a lot. I don't experience much buffeting until I'm going above 70 mph. I'm hoping that when I get a batwing fairing the buffeting will disappear when riding at highway speeds.
Just remember when you order a windshield that when you're setting in the riding position that the top of the windshield should be between your upper lip and your nose to get the correct hight of the windshield. You'll need someone to stand in front of you to help get that measurement. Also if you ride with a half helmet the buffeting is not as severe as wearing a full face or modular helmet. By the way I'm 5'11". Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 16" or 20" windshield buffeting