Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle problem help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Wardo8379
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problem help please

Got on my 07 flhx today and when I came to a stop it was idling at 3000 rpm......uuuuugggghhhhh

I have just started doing basic maintence on my Harley....but I have know Idea where this "screw" yall are referring to is located to you have a pic of where it is at? My bike is Fuel Injected...fyi

The code it pulled was a P0505 which is a idle code--- previous thread says that there is a screw on the intake that can back itself out causing this issue...I have no idea where this is located....if anyone has had this happen and used this fix or knows of another one please let me know!!!! SOS

Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 PM
rick2800
Tourer

a buddy of mine has an 05 and it was doing that it was the computer and iac (idle air control)

Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine has idled high a few times, but I don't think it was that high an idle. The recommendation then was to turn the ignition switch on and off slowly a couple of times (run switch on)to allow the computer to reset. They mentioned it sometimes happens after a blip of the throttle just seconds before switching it off. One has to be very conscious with today's FI system.
Cannot hurt to try it!
My $0.02

aka Bob

Last edited by Turbo Turtle; 09-03-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Because I can
Old 09-04-2013, 04:37 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

idle problem help please-tb50a.jpg

Check plug to IAC Valve. Unplug and reseat. If this doesn't correct it, could be bad valve.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:29 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

The last thing that I would do is to turn the idle adjustment screw. IAC valve could be stuck, or there could be something else. As others have said, 1) resynch the ECM, and IAC by doing the on, off cycles as explained in the service manual. 2) Check that the IAC valve is working on start up. It should move when the bike is first started. If it doesn't remove the air cleaner, and clean it with Throttle Body Cleaner. While you are there clean out the throttle body. If that does't fix it I would think about replacing the IAC valve.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a massive post on this topic, with lots of valuable info. I think it is titled "07 idle issues". It covers both high idle and stalling. I have an '07 FLHR and had both issues for years up to the point where the popping on decel got so bad it cracked my rear head pipe wide open.

The solution for me was replacing the TPS, $48.00.

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Deckman
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem with my 07 FLHX. Changed the TPS (throttle position sensor), problem solved. May as well change the IAC at the same time, they are definitely another problem area on this year bike.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:18 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try the on/off thing first if not clean your IAC it's what mine does when it can't sense air correctly. You do need a long can straw to do this & switch you ignition on/off when you spray clean the valve.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Black Flag
Tourer

Seems I have the same issue. '07 FLHTC with 93K miles. Riding home the other day, the idle speed kept creeping up until I was idling over 3K RPM and I'm riding a freakin' death trap! I got the bike home safely and I'm ready to replace the TPS and IAC (is this what they are calling the 'Stepper Motor?' Any quick tips or other suggestions? Since it's a high mileage bike, I'll probably just replace both items...seems I can get them both for under $100.00 Thanks for all your help.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Black Flag
Tourer

I used the Search Tool to locate this thread (and two others) that briefly discussed my high idle issue.

This is not "intermittent high idle with stalling." This bike has performed perfect for 93K miles.

I don't need a factory re-flash of my ECM. I'm pretty sure this is a maintenance issue.

I'm curious if there are any other Threads that discuss this issue more in-depth?

Like, Step-by-Step...with pictures? BTW, this is an AZ bike, it's a Dry Heat!

Thanks again. (B-D)>

Last edited by Black Flag; 11-05-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: more information

Quick Reply: idle problem help please