Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ever bought these lowers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:57 AM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking forward to UN's Install writeup

Got it delivered today and am waiting for hardware to be delivered.
Quality of parts looks fine. Shame they don't include install instructions.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:33 PM
HD BUD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all! ive got a set of faring factory lowers, like that if I remember I paid $350, but it came with speaker housing and quick relese mouting kit, cant keep the vents open have had them apart a few times to fix it, no luck yet. you gotta watch the screw tightening in the housing my right side cracked, sandwiched the hole with washers for now, will fix it when it starts raining, the lowers it self are thinner than hd, like nutz says, but overall a good deal, got about 4k on em and a 1300 mi trip. bud

Old 09-18-2013, 06:08 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by keno
Got it delivered today and am waiting for hardware to be delivered.
Quality of parts looks fine. Shame they don't include install instructions.
Take a look at Ronnie's online microfiche for parts assembly it's pretty easy. Take a look at your service manual also. they have all the torque specs for every screw there.

I got notification this morning that LSHD shipped my parts. I've got the pods painted. I'll probably clear coat them tomorrow

Old 09-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Take a look at Ronnie's online microfiche for parts assembly it's pretty easy. Take a look at your service manual also. they have all the torque specs for every screw there.

I got notification this morning that LSHD shipped my parts. I've got the pods painted. I'll probably clear coat them tomorrow
What are you using to paint them?

Old 09-18-2013, 06:49 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Duplicolor Primer, Duplicolor Universal Black, Duplicolor Clear Lacquer. Do not mix brands..

You can also go to a PPG store and get them to match the vivid black color and put it in a spray can for you in either Lacquer or Enamel.

I tested the Universal black with some clear coat on it and it is perfect..

Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Duplicolor Primer, Duplicolor Universal Black, Duplicolor Clear Lacquer. Do not mix brands..

You can also go to a PPG store and get them to match the vivid black color and put it in a spray can for you in either Lacquer or Enamel.

I tested the Universal black with some clear coat on it and it is perfect..
Is that the same process you used to paint your lids? If so, do you have any pictures of them installed on your bike?

I have a few things I want to have painted this winter. If I could do it myself and have it turn out decent, I might try it.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
Is that the same process you used to paint your lids? If so, do you have any pictures of them installed on your bike?

I have a few things I want to have painted this winter. If I could do it myself and have it turn out decent, I might try it.
I bought the cvo lids painted from HD. Dont trust myself without proper spray equipment to do anything bigger than the pods

Old 09-19-2013, 08:23 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by HD BUD
hi all! ive got a set of faring factory lowers, like that if I remember I paid $350, but it came with speaker housing and quick relese mouting kit, cant keep the vents open have had them apart a few times to fix it, no luck yet. you gotta watch the screw tightening in the housing my right side cracked, sandwiched the hole with washers for now, will fix it when it starts raining, the lowers it self are thinner than hd, like nutz says, but overall a good deal, got about 4k on em and a 1300 mi trip. bud
have you replaced the springs in the vents with the stock springs from HD?

Old 09-19-2013, 10:45 AM
glide_n_around
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice writeup.........once I get my Cycle Electric 3-phase 50A conversion and clutch job wrapped up, I think I am going to pull the trigger on these! Got to make sure the chargins system will last before I start throwing amps and speakers at it! Damn stator, why did you have to break at the beginning of Fall in Tennessee...this is God's riding weather!

Last edited by glide_n_around; 09-19-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:03 PM
FrankCaputo
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thought I'd chime in with some assembly thoughts since I put my lowers together, but haven'y installed them on the bike yet. The only items I bought from Harley were the 4 stud clips (part #8175), the 4 nuts (part #7716), and the 2 bottom clamps (part #27048-84). To be honest, 1/4-20 nylon lock nuts from Lowes would be just as good, and a 1 1/4" electrical cable clamp would serve for the bottom clamp. The stud clips are a must though IMHO.

I found a video on Youtube that shows the assembly process pretty well:

I used a 1/4" x 1 1/4" carriage bolt, 1/4" fender washer, and a 1/4" nylon lock nut to assemble the vent door to the inner glove box using the supplied black round disks that allow the door to be adjusted on the bike. I only tightened up the assembly tight enough so as to allow the vent door to ratchet to different positions. Some guys have mentioned a spring which is Greek to me since I don't know where that would go. I did mine like the guy in the video and it will work good enough for the few times I'll adjust it.

#8 x 1/2" phillips head or hex head self tapping screws put the vent door/glove box assembly onto the trim piece (2 on each side), then that assembly is held onto the main lowers body with 3 more screws on each side, for a total of 10 screws. The video shows that pretty well. I'd probably use hex head to keep from stripping out the phillips head. Another member mentioned using #10 screws, but I honestly believe they would be too big and bust out the plastic.

I'll mount them to the bike when the parts dept. gets the stud clips in. I've got plenty of bolts to use for the bottom clips around here and I bought a couple rubber washers also from Lowes.

Hope this helps anyone wrestling with the install!!

Quick Reply: anyone ever bought these lowers?