Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ever bought these lowers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

My lowers just came in today and I have a few questions for the other owners of these. Did you guys drill out this spot on the vent to use a bolt/washer/nut in place of the plastic push things that came with the lowers ? Question #2, they came with 8 of the washer/ribbed washers with indents in them, are the 4 of them replacements?
I am also thinking that I will get some type of rattle/vibration when these are mounted.I am thinking about getting a bicycle tube and cutting it up and glue/siliconing it to the part of the lowers that will be in contact with the crashbar.Any input.....

Old 12-06-2013, 05:54 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I didn't use any of the hardware that came with the lowers. Bought all HD hardware which replaces those plastic push things with actual bolts, nuts, screws, bushings. Take a look in the first thread for the HD parts list. The bolt (actually all the HD parts) you need to go through there can be had from Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, or the likes.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:07 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I didn't use any of the hardware that came with the lowers. Bought all HD hardware which replaces those plastic push things with actual bolts, nuts, screws, bushings. Take a look in the first thread for the HD parts list. The bolt (actually all the HD parts) you need to go through there can be had from Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, or the likes.
Thx for the reply! I have copied the list of parts you provided earlier and will go that route. The idea of using those plastic things on a pivot point seemed like a bad idea.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:53 AM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

I purchased these lowers off ebay. I figured for the money if they sucked I would just sell them at a swap meet. They came in a week ago and I was amazed at the paint quality. I bought a set of HD lowers for my last bike so I knew how they went together and also knew I could buy and make the hardware from Lowes to do the install. My bike is vivid black so I ended up with a $128 in the project. I can't believe this worked out. I usually get burned when I try to go on the cheap.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
My lowers just came in today and I have a few questions for the other owners of these. Did you guys drill out this spot on the vent to use a bolt/washer/nut in place of the plastic push things that came with the lowers ? Question #2, they came with 8 of the washer/ribbed washers with indents in them, are the 4 of them replacements?
I am also thinking that I will get some type of rattle/vibration when these are mounted.I am thinking about getting a bicycle tube and cutting it up and glue/siliconing it to the part of the lowers that will be in contact with the crashbar.Any input.....
I used a piece of old inner tube and wrapped it around the engine guard. It worked great. No need to glue though, you do need to drill that hole out.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:13 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, I'm convinced. Ordered a set from Matuza. Merry Christmas to me:-)!

Link to Ronnies for folks that may need it. Diagram and parts list.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....LOWERS---ULTRA

Old 12-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
I used a piece of old inner tube and wrapped it around the engine guard. It worked great. No need to glue though, you do need to drill that hole out.
Thx for the input! My bike is vivid black and these look like a perfect match. Just got back from the dealer getting the hdwr( had to order 2 parts)so I guess I'll go do my brakes instead.....

Old 12-08-2013, 06:59 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed.....

Old 12-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure how, but my right lower broke. It cracked inside of where the bolt goes through. I'd take pics but we threw it out already. Good news is that the stock vents for. They are only 11.00 each from Surdyke..of course it's good to have friends in parts. Got right in and operate just like factory.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member

Hardware came in today and I got my lowers installed, but I have a question. Did you guys have any problems with clutch cable rubbing against the left lower like this Everything else looks good. I'm gonna try to get a ride in tomorrow and see how they feel....

Quick Reply: anyone ever bought these lowers?