Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:56 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Rain gear

Took a trip from Houston to South Padre Island over the Labor Day weekend, and got caught in a torrential rain on the ride back. What should I look for in good rain gear, and in your opinion who makes the best? Thanks.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:42 AM
dlpuette
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Ex$pen$ive, but the best thing going IMHO - The Harley HiViz rainsuit is the best I've owned. Been through some fairly heavy rain and dry as a bone.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 AM
SSTuner
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dlpuette
Ex$pen$ive, but the best thing going IMHO - The Harley HiViz rainsuit is the best I've owned. Been through some fairly heavy rain and dry as a bone.
Got to agree on the H-D gear. We had the off brand stuff and they were junk. Save your money up and get the H-D gear, well worth it.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:00 AM
fzggm4
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another vote for the Harley HiViz rainsuit. Both the wife and I have them. We went through a really bad storm going from Effingham Il. to St. Louis and stayed dry.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 AM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hi Viz Suit

Get the hi viz suit without the Harley Logo here for $60. Same manufacturer.

http://www.motorcyclecenter.com/p/Sh...t/1457985.html

Best rain gear I've had is an ugly banana yellow BMW one piece. Easy to get on and off and never leaks a drop. Packs up pretty small as well. Just hate the color. I also need to pick up some reflective tape to put over the BMW logo.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...4uvkvvfl5q5j16

Old 09-03-2013, 08:34 AM
bike_r_trash
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Alternative to HD - http://olympiamotosports.com/categor...zon-rain-gear/
They make great products and I like how the jacket seals around your neck. Check out the video demo.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know how you guys ride in the rain. Hit 1-manhole cover in a turn and you're down.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have HD raingear, that leaks like a sieve. Dealer i bought it from is taking it back.
Everybody i asked on my trip, if they stay dry, said they had no problem with there HD gear and most had the HiViz.
Here's a link to the thread i started while on my trip
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...e-big-one.html

Old 09-03-2013, 08:53 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I've had just the basic HD rain suit that I got at the shop for about $100. Not the HiVis, which is more expensive and undoubtedly nicer. The one I have packs up small and has never let me get wet, even in heavy rain.

That suit linked to above by JD HD, however, is what I would buy next if I were in the market. Great price!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:04 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the hiviz, and I don't understand the 'leaking' comments. I ride with booties, too (no lower fairings). I rode thru two days of rain to FL and two days of rain back home last year and the gear worked great, no leaks around neck, etc. Of course, I will put the hoodie on under my helmet, etc like it's supposed to be used. Two out of the four days... it was REALLY raining, too.

I had a Heritage... sucked to ride THAT in the rain for sure. And... you don't fall down, etc. when running over objects. Just ride like you would drive... in the snow. No sudden movements and slow up a bit in general and more so in corners. Use a bit of sense and stay OFF of painted lines on the roadway( slippery at slow speeds). Stay out of the center of the lane when it first starts raining (oil will raise up from cars leaking into the center of lanes).

I hated rain riding, until I got caught out in a frog stomper riding home from the 9/11 ride a few years back. That taught me... and believe you me, I was afraid to do that. AFter that experience, I went ahead and forced myself to rain ride whenever possible. I even ride rain at night anymore, now a days. It's a skill and mindset is all. Batwings are MADE for rain riding, BTW. RKs and even fuglies have more rider issues with being able to see properly while in the rain. The 'key' to decent rain riding is to have the shield height BELOW eyesight. I now run an 7" LRS curved, and that baby makes riding in the rain, with a Batwing, no problem. The big shield on my Heritage... couldn't rain ride. Big 12" shield on my Batwing... couldn't rain ride.

Also, I WILL pull off when I see cars using their fastest wiper settings and grannies pulling off. Not so much I can't keep riding (you really CAN!)... but NOBODY will be able to see ME on a bike.... hi viz or not. And, with a bike, there is hardly ever an issue with hydroplaning. I have... but its quickly recoverable and nothing like when a car does it.

Cheaper gear, in the past, allowed rain in the neck, rain thru the zipper in front. and sometimes rain at the waist. Also, cheap alternatives will MELT when it hits the pipes... the hi viz won't melt there at all. I always carry a decent 3/4 helmet, strapped to the bike, for rain. Half helmets simply will NOT cut it in a real rain storm. The key here, is to get that hoodie framing your face, and all sealed up. I'm fat with 42 chins, and I can get the hoodie to seal nicely.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 09-03-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Rain gear