Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 SG steering/ tracking questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:08 PM
cycle crazy
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2009 SG steering/ tracking questions

As mentioned above I have an 09 SG. It seems to me when I ride my GF's 09 SG and other friends touring bikes...there bikes track or feel tight and straight....its like the bike is riding in a rail....it feels very stable...my bike feels loose up front...its opposite of others I've ridden...it feels unstable and definitely not riding in a straight rail.
Not sure if I'm describing it correctly but it just seems the front is more stable on other touring bikes.
The only difference between my bike and others I've ridden is...
I changed the front & rear tires and wheels to 18", front forks were swapped put for powder coated ones, different handlebars. I'm thinking maybe the bike isn't aligned correctly. I've heard about this neck bearing problem too...not sure if it would effect the " tracking" of the bike...
Any ideas???
Thx

Last edited by cycle crazy; 09-02-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:44 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Check steering head bearing for play (do the fall away test). Could be tire as well. Could be alignment. Process of elimination.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:59 PM
cycle crazy
Tourer

Originally Posted by dawg
Check steering head bearing for play (do the fall away test). Could be tire as well. Could be alignment. Process of elimination.
Will check bearings ..tire has been replaced...when you stated alignment,are you referring to front to rear wheel?
Thx!

Old 09-02-2013, 10:15 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

No mention in your post about tire pressure or shock pressure. Since you are running different wheels and tires, the owner's manual pressures don't apply any more. Try to find the tire manufacturer's recommendation for your bike or go with the max cold pressure on the sidewalls.

Also no mention of the wheels and tires on the other machines you liked better. There are plenty of complaints from guys with non standard wheel sizes regarding steering and handling. If they ever get it worked out, they don't seem to report what fixed the problem. Did you save your old wheels?

Old 09-02-2013, 10:39 PM
cycle crazy
Tourer

Originally Posted by btsom
No mention in your post about tire pressure or shock pressure. Since you are running different wheels and tires, the owner's manual pressures don't apply any more. Try to find the tire manufacturer's recommendation for your bike or go with the max cold pressure on the sidewalls.

Also no mention of the wheels and tires on the other machines you liked better. There are plenty of complaints from guys with non standard wheel sizes regarding steering and handling. If they ever get it worked out, they don't seem to report what fixed the problem. Did you save your old wheels?
Forgot to mention I did change the rear shocks as well...(Progressive 944 Ultra 13")Vs Stock air shocks that measure 12"...tires and wheels are 18" Agitator. 36lbs front/40lbs/rear... All the bikes I've rode (RG & SG) have been with stock wheels & tires...Yes I have the old wheels and tires

Old 09-02-2013, 11:07 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Check fall away and if your running Metzlers now kick the pressure up to the max they ride better pumped up

Old 09-02-2013, 11:15 PM
BIGVTWIN
Road Captain

Willing to bet that air pressure is the problem. Add a pound at a time to the frt and test ride.
I have a 21 up frt and I keep it at 40 ish.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:37 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

By putting 13" shocks and an 18" rear wheel you have raised the the rear end about 1 1/2". This will steepen the head (steering neck) angle. Resulting in quicker steering with less caster. Caster makes the wheel track strait.

You have also raised you center of gravity, that does not help either.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:26 AM
cycle crazy
Tourer

Originally Posted by XARAN
Check fall away and if your running Metzlers now kick the pressure up to the max they ride better pumped up
Gotta check size & brand but they aren't metzlers

Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 AM
cycle crazy
Tourer

Originally Posted by senna
By putting 13" shocks and an 18" rear wheel you have raised the the rear end about 1 1/2". This will steepen the head (steering neck) angle. Resulting in quicker steering with less caster. Caster makes the wheel track strait.

You have also raised you center of gravity, that does not help either.
I was thinking that when sitting on the bike ( according to progressive) that these shocks have a ride height of 12". Is this sound correct? So it would be better to change shocks to a shorter set to lower the rear since now I have an 18" rear tire?
Or leave the 18" up front and go with the stock size tire/wheel combo of 16" in the rear?
Wow a lot to think about!!!

Last edited by cycle crazy; 09-03-2013 at 02:18 AM.

Quick Reply: 2009 SG steering/ tracking questions