Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 SG steering/ tracking questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 04:59 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle crazy
I was thinking that when sitting on the bike ( according to progressive) that these shocks have a ride height of 12". Is this sound correct? So it would be better to change shocks to a shorter set to lower the rear since now I have an 18" rear tire?
Or leave the 18" up front and go with the stock size tire/wheel combo of 16" in the rear?
Wow a lot to think about!!!
I would:

1. Attempt to adjust the fall away (neck bearings). See if anything changes.

2. Put the stock rims and tires on. See if anything changes.

3. Put the old shocks back on. See if anything changes.

lp

Last edited by lp; 09-03-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:33 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle crazy
I was thinking that when sitting on the bike ( according to progressive) that these shocks have a ride height of 12". Is this sound correct? So it would be better to change shocks to a shorter set to lower the rear since now I have an 18" rear tire?
Or leave the 18" up front and go with the stock size tire/wheel combo of 16" in the rear?
Wow a lot to think about!!!
You are correct if the sag is set correctly. Plus the 18" wheels with the corresponding tires are almost the same height as the stock wheel so that should not be an issue.

My suggestion is to first fill the neck with grease until it pops from the bottom & top bearings and then torque the nut on top of the triple tree to spec. The 09's were loose from the factory from what I've read. That may solve your issues. If not, check the fall away and adjust the neck bearings.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:54 PM
cycle crazy
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
You are correct if the sag is set correctly. Plus the 18" wheels with the corresponding tires are almost the same height as the stock wheel so that should not be an issue.

My suggestion is to first fill the neck with grease until it pops from the bottom & top bearings and then torque the nut on top of the triple tree to spec. The 09's were loose from the factory from what I've read. That may solve your issues. If not, check the fall away and adjust the neck bearings.
I will definitely check the neck bearings...out does look like they have been greased by the po. Was thinking the 944 shocks ARE 12" in length. And ...don't CVO bikes come with 18" f&r wheels and tires? Arent the SG,RG & CVO bikes based on the same frame?