Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bag 09' Street Glide - Unfortunate Incident

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:06 AM
The Borg
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bag 09' Street Glide - Unfortunate Incident

My right side bag fell off while on the highway the other day. My fault but I have a hard time believing the pins weren't in as, without them, the bags fall off standing still. The bag would have fallen off prior to getting on the highway.

Vibration loosened the pins?????? I don't know. I could speculate all day long.

Anyway, just looking to see if anybody else might have had a similar incident and also wondering if there's a better locking mechanism (other than wrap around bars) to keep the bags secure.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:14 AM
VINNIE JAMES
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a bracket that keeps breaking on that same side. One time it busted 2 brackets and broke my exhaust. My pins did not come out

Old 09-02-2013, 10:24 AM
basselope
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't had the experience myself, but there are several here on the forums that have - improper installation and sprung dzeus clips seem to be the biggest contributors. There are several methods to make the mount more secure; Brukus is a forum sponser that sells a kit for around $25.00, or you can go with any of the several hardware store methods posted around the forum.
I can only imagine the sinking feeling when you look back and see a bag missing. I hope the damage wasn't too bad and that you can get your scoot back up to snuff without too much drama.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:38 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

the stock pins may spread over time or vibrate out- and recent posts about theft drive a frenzy.

at the very least tie a shoelace between the rings to keep the pins from rotating out- either from vibration, or a bad guy working the slot with a screwdriver tip

or

your local home depot is a source for an easy preventative fix for under $10

Crown Bolt #43228 speed nut (SMS type U 5/16-18 thread )

Crown Bolt #66808 wing bolt ( 5/16-18 thread X 1" ) if you don't want a wing bolt, then use a bolt
a couple of rubber fender washers too, or reuse the stock ones

if theft is prime mover, replace the 1/4" bolt of the FRONT saddlebag mount with a button head type which cannot easily be turned out with visegrips

for models with saddlebag guards, a strip of rubber on the inside of the guard, will keep you bag from being scratched when taking the leftside bag off and putting on

and rubber stick on feet on the bottom of the saddlebags, allows you to put the bag down anywhere without looking for a soft spot...I found myself standing there with bag in hands, looking for a towel of something on the floor.

OP, welcome to the forums- the are a few areas of common concern, this is one of them...another is IF you have an alarm system SET and KNOW the PIN for the day when your fob is lost or the fob battery dies.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-02-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:49 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought a inexpensive kit on e bay, clips with threads and allen screws, I almost lost one once, these stay secure and makes it much harder to steal. This is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAGGER-LOCK-...#ht_1800wt_917

Old 09-02-2013, 11:33 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

I lost a bag on my '94 RK just after picking it up from the dealer. Bolts hold them on since.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:29 PM
The Borg
3rd Gear
Default Thanks!

Really appreciate the feedback. Definitely going with the bolts over the pins. All were great ideas and decided to go with the Brukus setup.

I really need the peace of mind knowing my bags are securely attached.

Thanks all!

Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Brukus Motorcycle Parts
Former Sponsor

FYI: Just overnighted a set of SaddlebagSecure to a new customer who was stopped at a Loaf and Jug gas station at Route 160 and Route 17 in Alamosa, CO - while traveling from Santa Fe, NM to Breckenridge, CO. In the 3 minutes this biker was inside using the facilities and purchasing a bottle of water - the bag was gone.

"I am more than happy for you to post about the incident. I hope that I have sold several sets of SaddlebagSecure for your company!"